down-arrow icon

Ski & Winter Sports travel insurance

Whether you’re a James Bond-level pro or you prefer to slip down the nursery slope at your own pace, accidents on the piste happen and can be serious. Winter Sports Cover is a mandatory add-on to your travel insurance which could help protect against injury, provide medical evacuation and may be able to help out if equipment is lost, stolen or damaged. 

chevron-right icon

Protection for skiing and snow boarding on and off piste ^

And that’s not all. Winter Sports gives cover for a range of common and less-common snowbound activities including off-piste (within resort boundaries and in recognised areas). It covers lost, damaged or stolen ski equipment and piste closure. So if it’s your first time or your hundredth, make sure you don’t hit the mountains without Winter Sports Cover. 

question icon

What’s covered?

Terms and conditions apply. Please see policy wording for full details.

Medical Emergencies

Ski, Snowboarding & ice skating accidents

It’s not just skiing and snowboarding. Whether it’s ski-blading, ice-skating or even husky-dog sledding, there are plenty of winter sports we can cover you for. We include medical evacuation too in case you’re hurt in an inaccessible area.


Lost, damaged or stole equipment

Whether you have your own equipment or you’ve hired it, we can cover loss, theft or damage it might suffer. Terms and conditions apply. Please check out our policy wording for details. 

Piste closure

Piste closure

It can be fun to go up the mountain when the weather’s heavy, but when there’s no snow at all, there’s no point. If the piste is closed because there’s no snow, you could make a claim.  

check icon document-download icon

Why choose Post Office?

  • We cover off-piste as well as on (within recognised resorts and boundaries)
  • We cover a huge range of winter sports, including air boarding, husky dog sledding and glacier walking (limitations may apply)
  • 24/7 emergency medical helpline
  • 3 levels of cover to suit every budget
trophy icon

    Award-winning travel insurance provider †

    We’ve been voted one of the Best British Travel Insurance Providers by the UK public for over ten consecutive years. We're particularly proud of our achievement because those awards are based solely on the number of votes we receive from the UK public. In other words, we have people like you to thank for our success.

Silver British Travel Awards 2018
plus icon minus icon chevron-right icon

Winter Sports Cover FAQs

What is Winter Sports travel insurance?

The risks posed when taking part in winter sport are very different to those a person might face on any other kind of holiday. In some cases, they are more dangerous too. So it’s important to ensure that as well as taking part in winter sports safely and responsibly, you have cover in case something goes wrong. It also covers you for things that can happen to your equipment, such as loss, theft or damage.

Why add Winter Sports cover?

Whether you have your own equipment or you’re hiring it, replacements can be expensive if they have to come out of your pocket. Winter Sports Cover can help in this situation. We can help you if you’re taken ill while on the mountain or get injured, and if the weather decides to dry up and there’s no snow on the piste, we can help restore the balance.

Still have questions about travel insurance?

chevron-right icon check icon chevron-right icon

EHIC is not always enough

If you are travelling in Europe a valid European Health Insurance Card might provide you with some state-provided medical healthcare for less.

The EHIC does not cover the cost of medical treatment in a private hospital or clinic, any additional cost to return to the UK or important concerns on a winter sports holiday, like mountain rescue,  just don't forget to add on the Winter Sports cover. In a medical emergency you may have no control over the hospital you are taken to or the closest hospital may be private. But medical travel insurance should cover more of the cost for you.

chevron-right icon

Travel Insurance cover types

Single Trip

  • Cover for a one-off trip in the UK or abroad.
  • Perfect for one-off trips or longer holidays up to 365 days*

Annual Multi-Trip

  • Cover for multiple trips for a 12 month period
  • You can go away multiple times in the policy year with up to 60 days cover for each trip **
chevron-right icon
circle-outline icon chevron-right icon phone icon online-application icon

Get a travel insurance quote


It’s quick and easy to get a quote today


*The Single Trip policy will cover you for one trip up to:

365 days for persons aged up to and including age 70.

90 days for persons aged between 71 and 75.

31 days for persons aged between 76 and 85.


** Under an Annual Multi-trip policy although you can take as many trips as you want within the policy year, there is a maximum duration for each individual trip. This limit varies depending on the cover level chosen and will be 17 or 31 days. On some policies the limit can be extended to 31, 45 or 60 days for an additional premium.


*** 0330 & 0333: Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calling a standard geographic number starting with 01 or 02 from your fixed line or mobile and may be included in your call package dependent on your service provider.


^ Winter sports cover is an mandatory cover option that must be added to any of our policies for an additional premium. Terms and conditions apply, please see policy wording for full details.


† Post Office has won a 'Best Travel Insurance Provider' award each year from 2006 to 2015 and won the Silver award from 2016 to 2018 at the British Travel Awards.


Small Print


Post Office® Travel Insurance is arranged by Post Office Limited and Post Office Management Services Limited. 


Post Office Limited is an appointed representative of Post Office Management Services Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 630318. Post Office Limited and Post Office Management Services Limited are registered in England and Wales. Registered numbers 2154540 and 08459718 respectively. Registered Office: Finsbury Dials, 20 Finsbury Street, London EC2Y 9AQ. Post Office and the Post Office logo are registered trademarks of Post Office Limited.


For Economy, Standard and Premier Policies


Post Office® Travel Insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, and administered by Collinson Insurance Services Limited, FRN 311883.


Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. Registered number of HRB 230378 in the commercial register. UK Branch office: Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AJ. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority under FRN 769884. Details about the extent of its regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority is available on request.


Collinson Insurance Services Limited is registered in England & Wales, registered number 758979. Registered Office: Cutlers Exchange, 123 Houndsditch, London, EC3A 7BU. Collinson Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 311883.


For Classic, Superior and Superior Plus Policies 


Post Office® Travel Insurance is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities and Insured by Union Reiseversicherung AG, UK.


Travel Insurance Facilities are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Union Reiseversicherung AG are authorised by BaFin and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority.


The above details can be checked on the Financial Services Register by visiting the Financial Conduct Authority website and searching by Firm Reference Number (FRN).