For further information about the Horizon IT Scandal, please visit our corporate website

Young woman sat at a table wearing glasses looking at her laptop

Applying online

If you’re applying for your first provisional driving licence online, please make sure you do it on the GOV.UK website.

Find your nearest Post Office branch

Find your nearest Post Office branch

Find your local Post Office where you can pick up a D1 form

Which service(s) do you require?

Enter a postcode, town, or street name

Please enter a location

    Error Default

    Your branch results

    Nearest branches to

    Nearest branches to

      Common provisional driving licence questions

      • Age 17

        • Motorcycles (category A1) • Cars (category B)

        Age 16

        • Agricultural tractors (category F)
        • Ride on mowers and pedestrian controlled vehicles excluding pedestrian controlled mowers (category K)
        • Mopeds (categories AM and Q)
        • Cars (category B) – because you are getting Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (mobility component) at the enhanced rate, or have applied for PIP having previously received Disability Living Allowance (mobility component) at the higher rate.

        You must not drive until you receive your licence, as this will give details of what and when you can start driving.

        You can check which vehicles you can apply for on the GOV.UK website.

      • Please use the guide leaflet (INF1D) provided with your D1 form or contact the DVLA for more help. 

      • Please check the GOV.UK DVLA services updates page for more information.

      Need some help?

      Driving licences help and support

      Find answers to common questions about driving licences:

      Visit our driving licences support page

      Driving licence enquiries

      If you can’t find the answer you require in the FAQs, please visit the DVLA website for further enquiries about driving licences and applications:

      Go to DVLA on GOV.UK