down-arrow icon

Ski & Winter Sports travel insurance

Whether you’re a James Bond-level pro or you prefer to slip down the nursery slope at your own pace, accidents on the piste happen and can be serious. Winter Sports Cover is a mandatory add-on to your travel insurance which could help protect against injury, provide medical evacuation and may be able to help out if equipment is lost, stolen or damaged. 

chevron-right icon

Protection for skiing and snow boarding on and off piste ^

And that’s not all. Winter Sports gives cover for a range of common and less-common snowbound activities including off-piste (within resort boundaries and in recognised areas). It covers lost, damaged or stolen ski equipment and piste closure. So if it’s your first time or your hundredth, make sure you don’t hit the mountains without Winter Sports Cover. 

question icon

What’s covered?

Terms and conditions apply. Please see policy wording for full details.

Medical Emergencies

Ski, snowboarding & ice skating accidents

It’s not just skiing and snowboarding. Whether it’s ski-blading, ice-skating or even husky-dog sledding, there are plenty of winter sports we can cover you for. We include medical evacuation too in case you’re hurt in an inaccessible area.


Lost, damaged or stolen equipment

Whether you have your own equipment or you’ve hired it, we can cover loss, theft or damage it might suffer. Terms and conditions apply. Please check out our policy wording for details. 

Piste closure

Piste closure

It can be fun to go up the mountain when the weather’s heavy, but when there’s no snow at all, there’s no point. If the piste is closed because there’s no snow, you could make a claim.  

check icon document-download icon

Why choose Post Office?

  • We cover off-piste as well as on (within recognised resorts and boundaries)
  • We cover a huge range of winter sports, including air boarding, husky dog sledding and glacier walking (limitations may apply)
  • 24/7 emergency medical helpline
  • 3 levels of cover to suit every budget

chevron-right icon

All medical conditions considered

If you have medical conditions, this should not be a reason to hold you back from exploring the world. Having the right cover in place, should the unfortunate happen, will give you peace of mind while on your adventures.

It's important that you declare all your medical conditions and any medication that you're taking.

Post Office Travel Insurance covers most pre-existing medical conditions. Get a quote today to see if we can cover you. If you have a serious pre-existing medical condition that Post Office Travel Insurance cannot offer cover for, the Money and Pensions Scheme (MaPS) have launched a directory listing companies that may be able to help you. The directory can be accessed by either clicking here or calling 0800 138 7777.

trophy icon

    Our Awards

    Post Office won a "Best Travel Insurance provider" award at the Your Money Awards in 2021. 


    Our Premier and Elite policies are also Defaqto 5-star rated


    Post Office won a ‘Best Travel Insurance Provider’ category award at the British Travel Awards in 2019. 


your money awards 2021 travel insurance
Travel-Insurance award Defaqto logo
Bronze - British Travel Awards 2019 - Best Travel Insurance Provider
plus icon minus icon chevron-right icon

Winter Sports Cover FAQs

Still have questions about travel insurance?

chevron-right icon check icon chevron-right icon
EHIC card

EHIC is not always enough

UK citizens travelling in EU countries can access some state-provided healthcare there for free or at a reduced cost. You'll need a European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) that's yet to expire or its replacement, the new UK Global Health Insurance Card (Ghic).

Remember, neither card covers any additional cost to return you to the UK or for a relative to stay or fly out to be with you. In a medical emergency you may have no control over the hospital you are taken to or the closest hospital may be private. But medical travel insurance may be able to cover some of the cost for you.

From 1 January 2021 the Ehic will no longer provide access to healthcare services in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland for UK nationals in most costs.

EHIC card
chevron-right icon

Travel Insurance cover types

Single Trip

  • Cover for a one-off trip in the UK or abroad.
  • Perfect for one-off trips or longer holidays up to 365 days*

Annual Multi-Trip

  • Cover for multiple trips for a 12 month period
  • You can go away multiple times in the policy year with various trip durations available **
chevron-right icon
circle-outline icon chevron-right icon phone icon online-application icon

Get a travel insurance quote


It’s quick and easy to get a quote today


*The Single Trip policy will cover you for one trip up to:

365 days for persons aged up to and including age 70.

90 days for persons aged between 71 and 75.

31 days for persons aged between 76 and 85.


** Under an Annual Multi-trip policy although you can take as many trips as you want within the policy year, there is a maximum duration for each individual trip. This limit varies depending on the cover level chosen and will be 17 or 31 days. On some policies the limit can be extended to 31, 45 or 60 days for an additional premium.


^ Winter sports cover is an mandatory cover option that must be added to any of our policies for an additional premium. Terms and conditions apply, please see policy wording for full details.

Small Print


Post Office® Travel Insurance is arranged by Post Office Limited and Post Office Management Services Limited. 


Post Office Limited is an appointed representative of Post Office Management Services Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 630318. Post Office Limited and Post Office Management Services Limited are registered in England and Wales. Registered numbers 2154540 and 08459718 respectively. Registered Office: Finsbury Dials, 20 Finsbury Street, London EC2Y 9AQ. Post Office and the Post Office logo are registered trademarks of Post Office Limited.


The above details can be checked on the Financial Services Register by visiting the Financial Conduct Authority website and searching by Firm Reference Number (FRN).