Malaysia: Currency, Travel Tips
With flights taking around 13 hours, holidays to Malaysia are usually several weeks long. But you can still keep costs down with backpacker-friendly accommodation and a good exchange rate. Those looking for a little more luxury won’t be disappointed either.
The country of Malaysia is spread across 2 main areas – the peninsula on mainland Asia has a mix of architectural and cultural influences ranging from Malay to Indian. Plus the high-rise capital city Kuala Lumpur is here. Across the South China Sea, you’ll find wild jungle landscapes across the northern region of the island of Borneo.
Malaysia is becoming more and more popular with the backpacker crowd. Hostel dorms are cheap and plentiful, and most activities won’t break the bank either.
Daily spend: £15-20
Private rooms at middling hotels could cost between £10 and £50 per night. The higher prices are usually in the capital Kuala Lumpur. You can choose cheaper domestic airlines to get around the country, too.
Daily spend: £50-80
4- and 5-star hotels are in the major cities. And eating 3-course meals at sit-down restaurants will also bump up your budget. On most of the islands, you’ll also find exclusive resorts and spas.
Daily spend: £80-120
Prices are approximate and subject to change.
Money saving tips for Malaysia
- Agree on taxi fares. The taxis here aren’t metered, so agree on a price before driving off.
- Don’t drink alcohol. While drinking is permitted here, it’s certainly frowned upon. Authorities keep the price of alcohol high to dissuade people.
- Check if you need to tip. Many hotels and upscale restaurants include a service charge of 10%.
Malaysia’s currency – the basics
The currency of Malaysia is the Malaysian Ringgit. See today’s exchange rate
- The Malaysian ringgit is subdivided into 100 sen.
- Banknotes come in denominations of 1, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100.
- The term ‘dollar’ is sometimes used instead of ringgit.
- The exchange rate is around 5 to 1 against the pound.
The smart way to travel
Keep track of your holiday spending and instantly convert local prices into pounds with our free smartphone apps. There are three handy apps to download for iOS and Android, including Travel Essentials, Travel Money Card & Currency Converter. You can also download an instant currency converter for your Apple Watch.
Get your Malaysian currency from us
We make it easy to get the Malaysian ringgit before your trip:
- Order online for a better rate on foreign currency – minimum order value of £400 applies online
- 0% commission, competitive rates on up to 70 foreign currencies
- Delivered to your front door or pick up from one of 11,500 local Post Office branches. Search for your nearest branch here
- Free delivery for branch collection and online orders of £500 or over for home delivery Monday-Friday. For orders of under £500 for home delivery, there is a small charge of £4.99
- Orders placed before 3pm, on a working day, can generally be delivered to your home the next working day. Where an order is placed on a Friday and delivery is required on a Saturday, there will be a charge of £1.50.
Travel Money at Post Office, so easy it's magic
Get a great rate by ordering your Malaysian rinngit from us