We’ll refund your holiday currency if your trip abroad is cancelled
Post Office Travel Money offers a refund guarantee for your holiday money if your trip abroad is cancelled, meaning that you can get the full value of your money back.
What is the refund guarantee?
When you’ve bought foreign currency from Post Office to use on your holiday and your trip is cancelled, you’re entitled to a refund from us.
This is different to a buyback. Buybacks are when you have been on holiday and returned with some foreign cash left over, which we’ll then buy off you.
The refund guarantee is for people whose whole holiday is cancelled – whether that’s by an airline or a tour operator – and they want to exchange their full amount of foreign currency for the price they paid for it.
How does the refund guarantee work?
There are a few simple steps to getting a refund on your Post Office Travel Money.
What you need to bring to us
Just bring your travel money and the receipt you were given when you bought it to one of our many branches that trades in foreign currency.
Head into a branch
Once you’ve got these items together, head to your nearest branch. Remember it needs to be a branch that sells travel money. We’ll then buy your currency back at that day’s buyback rate. This isn’t going to be the full amount you paid for your currency due to the nature of buybacks.
We’ll then give you a purchase receipt for the buyback.
Pop everything in the post
Put your sale and purchase receipts, as well as evidence of your holiday’s cancellation, in the post to us. The address is: FREEPOST, POST OFFICE, CUSTOMER CARE.
You can do this while you’re in the branch if you’ve got everything you need.
You can also scan or take photos of these items and email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Once we’ve processed everything, we’ll send you a cheque for the difference between the buyback rate and your initial purchase rate
What about refunds on my Travel Money Card (TMC)?
As these purchases are all done electronically, you need to follow a different process if you want to claim a refund on your TMC.
But all you need to do is call the number printed on the back of your TMC and we’ll take you through it from there.
How long does a travel money refund take to process?
We aim to process all refunds within two weeks of receiving them.
However it’s possible that these times are increased if there is large-scale disruption to our operations, such as we experienced recently during the coronavirus pandemic.
How long do I have to apply for my refund?
You have 28 days from the date of purchase to apply for a refund.
Terms and conditions
1. Refunds are available on all purchases of Post Office Ltd (“Post Office”) foreign currency either online or in branch.
2. Refunds apply to Post Office Travel Money Card and foreign currency.
3. Refunds exclude any bank or other charges that a purchaser may have incurred at the time of purchase.
4. Refunds exclude any and all delivery charges relating to the purchase of foreign currency.
5. Customers need to present original purchase and sales receipts or provide scanned copies by email at the time of requesting a refund. If you are providing scanned copies, please send to email@example.com
6. If obtaining a refund for cash only the original currency purchased will be accepted.
7. A refund will only be given for the full amount of currency purchased, both receipts must be for the same currency amounts and there are no refunds for part of a purchase.
8. Refunds must be claimed no later than 28 days from the date of purchase.
9. There are different ways in which to obtain a refund dependant on the method of purchase and form of currency purchased. To find out how to obtain a refund, you can ask in any Post Office branch.
10. A full refund will only be given where a holiday has been cancelled due to the following circumstances: Industrial Strike Action, Natural Disaster, Tour Operator Insolvency, advisory notice from the Foreign Office not to travel, adverse weather conditions preventing travel, Health Alert in the country of destination, other reasons at the discretion of Post Office Ltd.
11. Evidence of holiday cancellation may be required in order to obtain a refund.
12. Post Office reserves the right to refuse any refund where it is believed that these Terms and Conditions have not been met, or where it is believed that the transaction is fraudulent.
13. Refunds are only obtainable by the original purchaser.
14. Refunds will be made at the same exchange rate as given at the time of purchase.
15. Post Office reserves the right to amend, suspend or cancel the refund offer at any time without notice.
16. The refund offer does not affect your statutory rights.
17. The decision of Post Office regarding any matter relating to the refund offer is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.