Taking pets to the EU


Pet passports issued in the UK are no longer valid. To take your pet to the EU or Northern Ireland, you will need to complete a few steps.


Your pet must be microchipped, have proof of current rabies vaccination and have a valid animal health certificate (AHC).


Some countries require dogs to have undergone tapeworm treatment for travel.


An AHC can be issued by your pet's vet. It may take a few days to process, so the government recommends applying for your pet's AHC at least one month before you plan to travel.


Pet insurance


Pet insurance policies offer limited coverage for pet travel which will remain valid after 1 January 2021. However, this will require your pet to be allowed to travel. If you travel with your pet without the necessary approvals, you are likely to invalidate your insurance.