For further information about the Horizon IT Scandal, please visit our corporate website

Family travel insurance

If you're travelling abroad as a family, it makes sense to take out insurance that covers you all. Especially if you have little ones.

Some travel insurance provides cover for children under 18 on a family or single parent policy, including medical cover in case of accident or injury.

Family relaxing sitting near beach and sea on their summer holiday

Poorly kids need looking after even more when away from home

It's bad enough if your children get ill or injured when you are at home. But if it happens when you are on holiday abroad it can be an even more distressing experience.

You'll obviously want to have them treated quickly. But if you are somewhere unfamiliar it can be difficult to know where to go. To make matters worse there may be a language barrier too.

Need to get travel cover in place now?

How to get a doctor overseas

If you are ever unlucky enough to find yourself in this situation, try to call a doctor as soon as possible. In Europe the number for emergency services is 112. Although you can check the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office website for emergency numbers you can ring at your destination too. Remember to ask for an interpreter if you can't understand your doctor.

Making sure it's the right treatment for the patient

If you have travel insurance for your family your provider should be able to monitor the situation to ensure that your child is receiving appropriate treatment.

Saving money may not be your most important concern at the time, but you'll probably be grateful if you have holiday insurance when your doctor gives you the bill. It can save you a small fortune on unexpected medical treatment.

There are other precautions you can take too

Make sure you and your children have obtained all the necessary vaccinations and medications prior to travel. And pack a small first aid kit to take with you that includes children's antihistamines, aspirin or other painkillers, and a thermometer.

You'll need a Ghic for every family member

You may have heard about the European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) or its replacement from 1 January 2021, the new UK Global Health Insurance Card (Ghic). They both let UK citizens access emergency and necessary state healthcare in EU countries for free or at a reduced cost. 

If you apply for a card you’ll get the new Ghic instead. Your existing Ehic can still be used in the EU until its expiry date, whenever that is. The Ehic can no longer be used in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein in most cases. 

Remember, neither the Ehic or Ghic covers all eventualities, such as repatriation, so make sure you also have travel insurance with appropriate health cover for trips to the EU or any overseas travel.

When should I buy family travel insurance?

To help you decide the right time to get your family covered, read our guide to when to buy family travel insurance.

The availability of cover options is dependent upon the level of cover you select. Conditions and exclusions apply. For full details of what's included with your cover, check the policy documents.

Interested in travel insurance?

Other travel products

  • Travel Money

    Order foreign currency online or in selected branches. Pick up in any branch or get it delivered to your home.

  • Travel Money Card

    One prepaid Mastercard™ that stores up to 22 currencies.

  • Passport Check & Send

    Get your passport application right the first time. We can even complete and submit it for you digitally.