For further information about the Horizon IT Scandal, please visit our corporate website

Man in a blue check shirt sat at a table looking down at the form he is filling out

What is our Paper Check & Send service

Paper Check & Send is a Post Office service where we check and send your application by post for you

  • Application is checked to ensure it meets all requirements
  • You can use your own compliant photos
  • Available at 2,500 branches

Passport guides

Common Paper Check & Send questions

  • Our Paper Check & Send service costs £16.00. This includes the delivery fee to send your supporting documents to HMPO by Special Delivery. This is on top of the fee due to HM Passport Office. There could also be an additional fee for any compliant photographs we may need to take.

      HM Passport Office fee Post Office Check & Send fee Total
    Adult standard 34-page passport £93.00 £16.00 £109.00
    Adult frequent traveller 50-page passport £104.00 £16.00 £120.00
    Child standard 34-page passport £64.00 £16.00 £80.00
    Child frequent traveller 50-page passport Not applicable – a child frequent traveller passport can only be applied for via Digital Check & Send for £64.50, plus the £16 Check & Send fee 


  • Have you changed your name by marriage or civil partnership? You’ll need:

    • Marriage certificate, or
    • Civil partnership certificate

    Are you are going back to your maiden or unmarried name? Or to a previous name once used? You’ll need:

    • One document from List A
    • A signed statement saying that you now use your maiden name for all purposes
    • Your birth certificate
    • Your marriage certificate showing both names
    • Your decree absolute (if applicable)
    • Evidence of all previous names from List B

    Do you want to travel in your new name shortly after getting married or forming a civil partnership? You’ll need:

    Are you changing the name on a child passport? You’ll need:

    • A signed statement from everyone that has parental responsibility for the child saying they give permission to the name change, or
    • A court order allowing the change of name and both of the following:
    1. One piece of evidence from List A
    2. At least one piece of evidence from List B

    Are you are changing the spelling of your name slightly? eg Bryan to Brian, changing the order your forenames appear in your passport, or dropping a forename? You’ll need:

    • One document from List A and one document from List B, or
    • Two documents from List A

    Are you changing your name following gender re-assignment? You’ll need:

    • Gender recognition certificate or re-registered birth certificate, or
    • A letter from your doctor or medical consultant together with:
    1. One document from List A, and
    2. At least one document from List B

    Are you changing your name for any other reason? You’ll need:

    • One document from List A, and
    • At least one document from List B

    List A – please provide one document which confirms your name in current use

    • Tax record, eg a letter from a tax authority
    • National identity card or equivalent
    • Employment record, eg an official letter from your employer
    • Visa or residence permit
    • Educational record, eg a school report
    • Letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department
    • Driving licence
    • Medical/health card
    • Voter’s card
    • Bank statement
    • Baptism/Confirmation certificate

    List B – please provide one document that shows each name change that has taken place

    • Marriage certificate
    • Civil partnership certificate
    • Gender recognition certificate
    • Enrolled deed poll
    • Un-enrolled deed poll (change of name deed) signed in both your old and new names
    • Certificate of naturalisation or registration
    • Statutory declaration or affidavit signed in your new name
    • Birth certificate (upon re-registration)
    • Certificate from the Court of the Lord Lyon of Scotland
    • Adoption order/certificate
  • HM Passport Office classes a passport as damaged as any of the following:

    • The details are indecipherable
    • The laminate has lifted enough to allow the possibility of photo substitution
    • Discolouration to the bio-data page
    • Chemical or ink spillage on any page
    • Missing or detached pages
    • The chip or antenna shows through the end paper on the back cover for the new style e-passports
    • The chip has been identified as damaged after investigation
  • Online:
    Using our online contact form

    By post:

    Alternatively, Textphone us on:
    0345 722 3355
    Need to contact us using Braille, audio or large print? No problem, we'll respond to you in the same format.

Need some help?

Passports help and support

Find answers to common questions about passports:

Visit our passports support page

Passport enquiries

For passport enquiries and complaints: 

Go to passport advice on GOV.UK