chevron-right icon

Your child’s first passport in the post

We’ll help you get it right first time for just £9.75

How to get a first passport for your child

Our Paper Passport Check and Send service makes it easy to get your child’s passport. All for £9.75 (plus additional £58.50 passport office fee).

find a branch icon

Get an application form in branch

Find your nearest Post Office.

complete form icon

You fill in the application form

You’ll need to ask someone to counter sign section 10 and certify your child’s photo.

well check it rights icon

We’ll check your application is right

And send off your application to HM Passport Office by special delivery. All for just £9.75.

letter icon

You receive the passport in the post

You’ll receive your child’s passport from the HM Passport Office in up to 3 weeks.

check icon chevron-right icon

Find your nearest branch

Use our branch finder tool to find where you can apply for a child’s first passport.

Identity & Licences
Your Finances
National Lottery
Apply Filters
plus icon minus icon chevron-right icon


How much does it cost to get a first child passport?

It will cost you £68.25 in total to get a first child passport. This includes the passport fee of £58.50 and a Post Office Check & Send fee of £9.75.

How old does a person have to be to get a child’s passport?

Any UK citizen, including infants and newborn babies, needs to have a passport in their own name before they travel.
Children up to the age of 16 should travel on a child’s passport. Over the age of 16 a full adult passport is required.

Note: between the ages of 12 and 15, the child should sign the declaration (section 6) on the passport form in their own right.

What do I need to bring?

Here’s what you need to provide when you come into branch to get a first child passport:

  • Passport form with section 10 countersigned by a witness.
  • Two certified photos

Full payment for your application: the passport fee plus the £15.40 Digital Check & Send fee.

How long does it take to get a passport?

It should take 3 weeks to process a renewal application.
For urgent applications, go here.

How can I get in touch?

Using our online contact form

By Post:



Alternatively Textphone us:
0345 722 3355

Need to contact us using Braille, audio or large print? No problem, we'll respond to you in the same format.

chevron-right icon check icon chevron-right icon

Top tips for filling in a passport form

  • Use a black ballpoint pen and write in capitals
  • Bring originals of your supporting documents, not photocopies
  • Stay within the white boxes and keep your signature within the border
chevron-right icon down-arrow icon

You might be interested in

International Driving Permit

You might need an IDP if you’re driving abroad. Check which countries require one.

Travel Insurance

Our 5* rated travel insurance will make sure you and your family are fully protected.

Renew adult passport

No forms, no fuss. Bring your old passport into one of our selected branches and we’ll do the rest.