For further information about the Horizon IT Scandal, please visit our corporate website

A young boy in a photo booth with his sister and Mum looking on guiding him through the process

What is our Digital Check & Send service

Digital Check & Send is a Post Office service where we complete and send your application for you digitally, so there’s no need for a paper application.

  • No paper form filling
  • We’ll take your digital photo to correct specifications
  • Available at 1,100 branches

Passport guides

Common Digital Check & Send questions

  • Our Digital Check & Send service costs £16.00. The fee includes your photo and delivery to the HM Passport Office. This is on top of the fee due to HM Passport Office.

      HM Passport Office fee Post Office Check & Send fee Total
    Adult standard 34-page passport £88.50 £16.00 £104.50
    Adult frequent traveller 50-page passport £100.50 £16.00 £116.50
    Child standard 34-page passport £57.50 £16.00 £73.50
    Child frequent traveller 50-page passport £69.50 £16.00 £85.50


    • Your existing or old, undamaged passport
    • A UK mobile number
    • Your address in the UK
    • A valid email address
    • Full payment for your application: a £16.00 Digital Check & Send fee in addition to the passport fee payable to HM Passport office
  • Have you changed your name by marriage or civil partnership? You’ll need:

    • Marriage certificate, or
    • Civil partnership certificate

    Are you are going back to your maiden or unmarried name? Or to a previous name once used? You’ll need:

    • One document from List A
    • A signed statement saying that you now use your maiden name for all purposes
    • Your birth certificate
    • Your marriage certificate showing both names
    • Your decree absolute (if applicable)
    • Evidence of all previous names from List B

    Do you want to travel in your new name shortly after getting married or forming a civil partnership? You’ll need:

    Are you changing the name on a child passport? You’ll need:

    • A signed statement from everyone that has parental responsibility for the child saying they give permission to the name change, or
    • A court order allowing the change of name and both of the following:
    1. One piece of evidence from List A
    2. At least one piece of evidence from List B

    Are you are changing the spelling of your name slightly? eg Bryan to Brian, changing the order your forenames appear in your passport, or dropping a forename? You’ll need:

    • One document from List A and one document from List B, or
    • Two documents from List A

    Are you changing your name following gender re-assignment? You’ll need:

    • Gender recognition certificate or re-registered birth certificate, or
    • A letter from your doctor or medical consultant together with:
    1. One document from List A, and
    2. At least one document from List B

    Are you changing your name for any other reason? You’ll need:

    • One document from List A, and
    • At least one document from List B

    List A – please provide one document which confirms your name in current use

    • Tax record, eg a letter from a tax authority
    • National identity card or equivalent
    • Employment record, eg an official letter from your employer
    • Visa or residence permit
    • Educational record, eg a school report
    • Letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department
    • Driving licence
    • Medical/health card
    • Voter’s card
    • Bank statement
    • Baptism/Confirmation certificate

    List B – please provide one document that shows each name change that has taken place

    • Marriage certificate
    • Civil partnership certificate
    • Gender recognition certificate
    • Enrolled deed poll
    • Un-enrolled deed poll (change of name deed) signed in both your old and new names
    • Certificate of naturalisation or registration
    • Statutory declaration or affidavit signed in your new name
    • Birth certificate (upon re-registration)
    • Certificate from the Court of the Lord Lyon of Scotland
    • Adoption order/certificate
  • HM Passport Office will text or email you at each stage of the application process. They’ll tell you when:

    • Your passport renewal application has been received
    • Your old passport has been received
    • Your application has been approved
    • Your new passport is on its way

    You can track your application using the link and reference on your Digital Check & Send receipt. Remember to keep it safe.

  • Online:
    Using our help & support hub

    By post:

    Alternatively, Textphone us on:
    0345 722 3355
    Need to contact us using Braille, audio or large print? No problem, we'll respond to you in the same format.

Need some help?

Passports help and support

Find answers to common questions about passports:

Visit our passports support page

Passport enquiries

For passport enquiries and complaints: 

Go to passport advice on GOV.UK