For further information about the Horizon IT Scandal, please visit our corporate website

Car insurance logo Our Over 50s Car Insurance is 5 Star rated by Defaqto

Why choose our Over 50s Car Insurance?

With our comprehensive Car Insurance you could receive all of these great benefits:

  • 3-year guarantee on repairs carried out by our approved repairers 

  • UK-based contact centre and 24/7 claims line – fast, friendly, expert service 

  • Uninsured driver promise – if the driver of your car is involved in an accident caused by an uninsured driver, we’ll refund the cost of any excess you pay in the event of a claim. Your no claims discount won't be affected 

  • Vandalism promise – your no claims discount won’t be affected if you need to claim for damage caused by vandalism, if you notify the police and provide a crime reference number 

  • Windscreen replacement and repairs when you call our Glass Helpline 

  • Emergency transport and accommodation – we'll pay up to £100 per person with a maximum of £400 per incident for alternative transport or overnight accommodation 

  • Child car seat cover – if your car is involved in an accident or damaged following a fire or theft, we’ll pay up to £150 per child seat fitted in your car 

  • Courtesy car – to keep you on the road while an approved repairer fixes your car (subject to availability and the supplying garage terms and conditions)  

  • Driving abroad – cover while travelling within the EU to the same level as your UK cover (up to a maximum of 60 days in any period of insurance) 

Over 50s Car Insurance options extras

Post Office Over 50s Car Insurance comes with several optional extras^ to create the cover package that suits you:

Motor Legal Protection

Helps recover legal expenses up to £100,000 and uninsured losses. Claim compensation if you can't use your vehicle or are injured or killed because of a car accident that wasn't your fault. Claim for policy excess and car repairs if an accident isn't your fault or you don't have comprehensive car insurance

Keycare cover

Get a 24-hour emergency helpline and up to £1,000 cover per year for replacing lost or stolen keys or reprogramming immobilisers, and £40 a day for up to three days for car hire

Guaranteed Replacement Car cover

Provides access to a car if your car is stolen or can’t be driven

Car Insurance cover levels

We offer a choice of cover levels. Here’s a summary of their features and the cover they provide.

Ready to get a quote?

Let’s find the cover package that’s right for you. Get a quote for Post Office Car Insurance or retrieve a quote you’ve started

Some common car insurance questions

  • What you need to drive abroad will depend to some extent on where you’re going.

    Green cards

    You may need a green card to drive your vehicle and tow a caravan or trailer in: Albania, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Iran, Israel, Moldova, Morocco, Russia, Tunisia, Turkey, or Ukraine.  

    You won’t need a green card to do so in: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, or Switzerland.

    If you’re visiting a green card country

    Insurance to drive in countries where you’ll need a green card must be agreed by your insurer before you go. You may need to pay an extra premium under the terms of your policy.

    Please contact us 21 days before you travel. If your insurer agrees to the cover and you’ve paid any additional premiums required, we’ll arrange for a green card to be sent to you.

    Driving in the EU

    To drive in the EU, you’ll need to:

    • Take a copy of your certificate of insurance, driving licence and V5C logbook
    • Display a UK sticker on your vehicle
    • Get an international driving permit (in some EU/EEA countries)

    If you intend to tow a trailer with your vehicle, you may also need to register your trailer before you travel. This depends on the type of trailer.

    Policies bought or renewed after May 2021

    The “Section 9: Driving Abroad’ part of your terms and conditions will still contain information about the previous EU ruling. This advised green cards were needed in all circumstances. We won’t be reissuing policy documents in the short term. But this section will be updated if you choose to renew your policy.

    Further reading

    If you’re planning to drive abroad these websites may help

    Driving abroad

    Vehicle insurance and driving abroad 

    Trailer registration 

    International driving permits 

    Green card information

  • You can pay annually or in monthly instalments. You’ll need to enter into a credit agreement, subject to status, to pay in monthly instalments. You can pay by credit/debit card or direct debit, but your first payment must always be made with a credit or debit card.

  • If you choose to pay in monthly instalments, you’ll be charged the APR % stated in your credit agreement. It means you’ll pay more than you’d pay through an annual lump sum arrangement.

  • We don’t offer a no claims discount on named drivers.

  • Go to our retrieve a quote page and follow the instructions to see your saved quote.

  • You can download your document policy pack at the time of purchase and your certificate of insurance should arrive in the post within 7 working days. If you need further copies, you can access your documents online or contact us to receive a hard copy.

  • We’ll remind you 28 days before your renewal date and give you instructions to follow to renew your policy. If you’d like to speak to us about renewing your policy, please call us on 0330 018 4082.

  • It means your policy will renew automatically when it comes up for renewal each year. It’s a stress-free way of staying insured. We’ll send a reminder 28 days before your renewal date so you can checkthe details and make sure you’re still happy to go ahead.

    If you change your mind, opting out of automatic renewals is easy. Go into your account or call the customer service team on 0345 073 1002 to make the change.

  • Please call the claims helpline on 0345 073 1005.

  • Please call us on 0345 073 1002, and we’ll give you more information at the time you make a claim.

  • Please call us on 0345 073 1002. Charges and fees may be applicable when cancelling your policy before or after the 14-day cooling off period. Please see your policy documents for full details.

  • If you’re transporting goods in the UK, you don’t need to inform us and you’ll still be covered.

    If you’re transporting goods in the EU, our motor insurance policy will provide, at minimum, third-party liability coverage for the duration of the policy. But it’s important to check your policy documents carefully for cover limits and policy exclusions.

  • Yes, we’re here to help. We know many things can impact people’s livelihoods and cause financial hardship. If you think you’ll be unable keep making your regular policy payments, please contact us as soon as possible on 0345 073 1002. Our opening hours are Monday-Saturday, 8am – 6pm.

    We have specialists who can discuss your circumstances and agree on how we can help with your financial situation. We may be able to help in several ways. For instance, moving your payment dates. Agreeing partial payments or payment holidays in the short term. Orremoving any fees applied to your policy.

    Please contact us before you miss a payment. But please don’t cancel payments or direct debits as this can leave you uninsured. We’ll help you find a solution before you’re in a situation where you can’t pay.

Need some help?

To get a quote by phone

Call us on: 0330 018 3770*

Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm
Saturday 9am - 5pm
Sunday and bank holidays 10am - 4pm

Car insurance help and support

To make a claim, register, manage or renew your policy, find answers to common questions or contact us:

Visit our car insurance support page

*Call charges

Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calling a standard UK number starting with 01 or 02 from your fixed line or mobile and may be included in your call package. Calls may be monitored or recorded for training and compliance purposes.

Post Office Money® Car Insurance is arranged and administered by BISL Limited. BISL Limited arranges policies from a panel of insurers, details are available on upon request from BISL Limited. 

Post Office Limited is an appointed representative of Post Office Management Services Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 630318. Post Office Limited and Post Office Management Services Limited are registered in England and Wales. Registered numbers 2154540 and 08459718 respectively. Registered Office: 100 Wood Street, London, EC2V 7ER. Post Office Money and the Post Office Money logo are registered trademarks of Post Office Limited.  

BISL Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 308896. BISL Limited is registered in England. Registered number 3231094. Registered Office: Fusion House, Katharine Way, Bretton, Peterborough, PE3 8BG. 

The above details can be checked on the Financial Services Register by visiting the Financial Conduct Authority website and searching by Firm Reference Number (FRN).