For further information about the Horizon IT Scandal, please visit our corporate website

Common car and van insurance questions

General questions

Paying for your policy

  • You can pay annually or in monthly instalments. To pay by monthly instalments you will need to enter into a credit agreement (subject to status). You can pay by credit or debit card, or by direct debit. Your first payment must always be made using a credit or debit card.

  • If you choose to pay by monthly instalments, you are in essence entering a credit agreement. This means you’ll be charged an APR%, just like with other kinds of credit. This makes the total cost for a year’s insurance higher than if you pay for the year up-front.

No claims discounts

  • No. Post Office doesn't offer named driver no claims discounts on any of our motor insurance products.

  • Post Office will only reward the actual policy holder with no claims discount. But if you’ve made no claims, we may be able to give you an introductory discount. To find out more, please contact our customer service team on 0345 073 1002 . Opening hours are 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm on Saturdays, and 10am to 4pm on Sundays and bank holidays.

Accessing your information

  • You can view your saved insurance offers on our quote retrieval page. Enter your reference number into the "Quote number" field and follow the instructions to view your quote details.

  • You can download your document policy pack when you buy your motor insurance. You can also ask for them to be posted out to you. Your certificate of insurance should arrive in the post within 7 working days of purchase. You can also access your documents online on the Post Office self-service page.

Renew, make a claim or cancel

Policy renewals

  • We'll send a renewal notice 28 days before your renewal date. This will give you instructions about any actions you may wish to take.

  • It means that your policy will renew automatically when it comes up for renewal next year. It’s a convenient, stress-free way of staying insured. We’ll send a reminder 28 days before your renewal date so you can check the details and make sure you’re still happy to go ahead.

    If you change your mind and want to opt out of an automatic renewal, it’s easy to do. Either log into your account or call the contact centre to make the change.

Making a claim

  • Please call the claims helpline on 0345 073 1005 . Lines are open 24/7 for claims.

  • If this is something you want to do, you’ll need to speak to our customer support team who will be able to help. You can reach them on 0345 073 1005 . The lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

To cancel or get help if you’re having difficulty paying

  • This is something you’ll need to do by phone. You can reach our customer service team on 0345 073 1002 . They're available 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm on Saturdays, and 10am to 4pm on Sundays and bank holidays.

  • Yes, we’re here to help. We know that rising costs of living could cause problems. If you think you may be unable to keep up your regular policy payments, please contact us as soon as possible on 0345 073 1002 . Our customer service team are here to help from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm on Saturdays, and 10am to 4pm on Sundays and bank holidays.

    We have specialists on hand who can discuss your individual circumstances and agree how we can help you. This might include moving your payment dates, agreeing partial payments or payment holidays in the short term and removing any fees applied to your policy.

    Don’t wait until you miss a payment, as we can help you in advance. Please don’t cancel your payments or direct debits. Your policy may be cancelled, and we don’t want you to be left uninsured. So please get in touch with us as soon as you can.

Van Insurance

  • If you're not sure if your van's insured, you can check on the MID data base. It's free to check your own vehicle registration number. Please be aware that it can take up to 7 days for a vehicle to appear on this database after you've taken out insurance.

  • In most cases, no you can't drive a van on your car insurance. This is because car insurance is based on its registration number. Our Driving Other Cars (DOC) cover does not extend to vans.

Driving abroad

Driving to aid Ukraine

  • No, you don’t need to inform us and you’ll continue to be covered.

  • No. Our motor insurance policies give you a minimum of third party liability cover for the length of the policy, so you don't need to contact us. But it's important to check what cover limits and exclusions your insurance policy has.

    It's also a good idea to check the current rules on cross-border transport of goods. This way, you'll know exactly what you can take and where. You must also follow any travel advice issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office.

  • Please call us to discuss your travel plans and we’ll be able to tell you if you need extra cover if you leave the Green Card Free Circulations Area countries.

    The Green Card Free Circulation Area (GCFCA) comprises all 30 European Economic Area (EEA) countries as well as the UK, Andorra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia and Switzerland.

  • No, our motor insurance policies don't cover driving in Ukraine. It's important to remember that damage or injury caused by war and conflict are common exclusions in motor insurance policies. Please read your insurance documents to check what you're covered for.

Driving abroad after Brexit

  • On 30 June 2021, the EU Commission announced their decision to waive the need to travel with a green card for vehicles and towed caravans and trailers when driving in the EU and EEA from 2 August 2021 onwards.

    This means you DO NOT need a green card for driving your vehicle and towing a caravan or trailer in the following countries: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland.

    You may need a green card to drive your vehicle and tow a caravan or trailer in the following countries: Albania, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Iran, Israel, Moldova, Morocco, Russia, Tunisia, Turkey or Ukraine.

Manage your account online

Log in online

Use your online account to view your policy, policy documents and make any adjustments you need to.

Making a claim

If you need to make a claim on your policy.

Call our claims line:

We’re ready to help: 0345 073 1005

Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Renewing your policy

To renew your cover or ask us a question about your renewal, here’s the team to call.

Policy renewal

Call us on: 0330 018 4082

Monday to Friday: 8am – 8pm
Saturday: 9am – 5pm
Sunday and bank holidays: 10am – 4pm

Contact us with other enquiries

Here’s how to reach us about anything other than making a claim or your policy renewal.

Call our customer service team

We’re ready to help: 0345 073 1002

Monday to Friday: 8am – 8pm
Saturday: 9am – 5pm
Sunday and bank holidays: 10am – 4pm


Call charges: calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calling a standard geographic number starting with 01 or 02 from your fixed line or mobile and may be included in your call package dependent on your service provider. Calls may be monitored or recorded for training and compliance purposes.