Car Insurance FAQs

Answers to some of your most common questions

How are the ABI supporting insurers that have been affected by the impact of Covid 19?

The spread of Coronavirus (Covid-19) is unprecedented in modern times and we understand this is an incredibly difficult time for families and businesses. Insurers want to support those who are affected by the impact of Covid-19, as well as those who want to help their communities in these challenging times.
ABI motor insurers have pledged to:

1.    Support those who need to make a claim. Insurers have implemented business continuity plans and work closely with service providers to do everything possible in these challenging circumstances to continue to handle claims and support their customers.  We recognise there will be many customers who will need additional support and insurers will prioritise those in vulnerable circumstances.

2.    Support those who cannot work from home. If you have to drive to your workplace because of the impact of Covid-19, your insurance policy will be valid. You do not need to contact your insurer to update your documents or extend your cover.

3.    Support those who use their cars to help their communities. If you are using your own car for voluntary purposes to transport medicines or groceries to support others who are impacted by Covid-19, your cover will not be affected. You do not need to contact your insurer to update your documents or extend your cover.

4.    Support our key workers. If your work* is critical to the national response to Covid-19 and you need to use your own car to drive to different locations for work purposes because of the impact of Covid-19, your cover will not be affected. You do not need to contact your insurer to update your documents or extend your cover.

*everyone who works in one of the critical sectors listed by the government.

Association of British Insurers
20 March 2020


What is the impact of driving in the EU and do I need a Green Card?

You will have seen in the news that as the Withdrawal Agreement Bill has now been passed by the Government, the UK leaves the EU on 31st January 2020. The UK then moves into a transition period up to 31st December 2020 during which further talks with the EU will be held to agree any future arrangements that will need to be in place by the end of the year.

During the transition period, Green Cards are not required as proof of insurance for driving in the EU and we will not be issuing these to customers.

Please keep an eye on the following websites for further updates around any changes to Green Card requirements. We will continue to update this page as more information becomes available over the coming months.

Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit

International Driving Permits

The Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB)

Can I drive abroad ?

Your car insurance policy will provide overseas cover for European trips for up to 60 days for any trip you take within the European Union (at the same level of cover you have in the UK).

How can I pay for my car insurance?

You can pay annually or in monthly instalments. To pay by monthly instalments you will need to enter into a credit agreement (subject to status). You can pay by credit / debit card or direct debit but your first payment must always come from a credit / debit card. 

Do Post Office offer No Claims Discount to named drivers?

We're afraid not.

How do I retrieve a saved quote?

Go to our car insurance application where you can retrieve your quote. Enter your quote reference in the "retrieve an existing quote" section and follow the instructions given.

Do Post Office offer a discount for Pass Plus?

We’re afraid not.

Can I switch my No Claims Discount from a motorcycle to a car insurance policy?

No, we do not accept any No Claims Discount from motorcycle insurance for a car insurance policy.

How can I get hold of my motor policy documents?

You can download your document policy pack at the time of purchase or alternatively they can be posted out to you thereafter. Your certificate of insurance should arrive in the post within 7 working days of purchase. You can also access your documents online via the Self-Service Centre.

How do I renew my policy?

You will receive a renewal notice 28 days before your renewal date, which will give you instructions about any actions you may need to take.

What happens if I have a car accident?

Please call the claims helpline on 0345 073 1005.

Can I claim back unused insurance if my car is written off?

Please call us on 0345 073 1002 where further information and assistance will be available to you in the event of a claim.

How can I cancel my car insurance?

Please call us on 0345 073 1002. Charges and fees may be applicable when cancelling your policy before or after the 14 day cooling off period. Please see policy documents for full details.

Call charges

0330 & 0345: Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calling a standard geographic number starting with 01 or 02 from your fixed line or mobile and may be included in your call package dependent on your service provider. Calls may be monitored or recorded for training and compliance purposes.

Can we help?

To get a quote call:

0330 018 3770 8am - 8pm, Mon - Fri
9am - 5pm, Sat
10am - 4pm, Sun & Bank Holidays

To speak to our Customer Service team call:

0345 073 1002 8am - 8pm, Mon-Fri
9am - 5pm, Sat
10am - 4pm, Sun & Bank Holidays

To renew your policy call:

0330 018 4082 8am - 8pm, Mon - Fri
9am - 5pm, Sat
10am - 4pm, Sun & Bank Holidays


To make a claim call:

0345 073 1005 Open 24 hours a day

Next Generation Text Service

We welcome calls from the Next Generation Text Service. If you want to communicate with one of our representatives add 18001 before the number you require.

Log in or register to use our Self Service Centre where you can access your policy, download your documents and make adjustments to your policy.