Denmark: Currency, Travel Tips
The Danes are some of the happiest people in the world, beating its European neighbours in a handful of international studies. But friendly people are just one of the reasons to take your holiday here.
The capital city of Copenhagen is best explored by a quaint riverboat cruise through the canals. It goes through Nyhavn, the old port area, where cafes and restaurants are housed in colourful waterfront houses and joined up by cobbled streets. It also heads to the famous Little Mermaid sculpture at Langelinje Pier – now over 100 years old.
Denmark has a huge network of camping grounds and there are upmarket hostels too. You can also keep your costs down by shopping at supermarkets and preparing your own food.
Daily spend: £25-40
Staying in Copenhagen cuts down your travel costs. And the city has a lot of cheaper hotels and good value restaurants. You can also take advantage of free rental bikes to get around the main attractions.
Daily spend: £60-90
Renting a car can cost about £70 a day. And taking car ferries to get around the country can get expensive. In the cities, there are plenty of luxury hotels and upmarket restaurants too.
Daily spend: £150-250
Prices are approximate and subject to change.
Money saving tips for Denmark
- Save your receipts. If you’re a non-EU resident, you can get a VAT refund at the airport.
- Use the free bikes. Copenhagen has over 1,000 bikes that are free to rent. You’ll find them parked at 100 stations around the city.
- Eat breakfast at a bakery. Continental breakfasts at city bakeries are much cheaper than hotel ones.
- Avoid over-tipping. Service charges are included in most bills, so don’t worry about adding on more.
The smart way to travel
Keep track of your holiday spending and instantly convert local prices into pounds with our free smartphone apps. There are three handy apps to download for iOS and Android, including Travel Essentials, Travel Money Card Plus & Currency Converter. You can also download an instant currency converter for your Apple Watch.
Get your Danish currency from us
We make it easy to get krone before your trip:
- Order online for a better rate on foreign currency – minimum order value of £400 applies online
- 0% commission, competitive rates on up to 70 foreign currencies
- Delivered to your front door or pick up from one of 11,500 local Post Office branches. Search for your nearest branch here
- Free delivery for branch collection and online orders of £500 or over for home delivery Monday – Friday. For home delivery orders under £500, there is a small delivery charge of £4.99
- Orders placed before 3pm, on a working day, can generally be delivered to your home the next working day. Where an order is placed on a Friday and delivery is required on a Saturday, there will be a charge of £1.50
Travel Money at Post Office, so easy it's magic
Get a great rate by ordering your Krone from us