down-arrow icon

Home Insurance

Our homes are our sanctuaries, the places where we can relax. Whether you own a house or rent a flat, protecting your home gives security to the place that matters most.

check icon chevron-right icon down-arrow icon

A brand you can trust


Post Office have core values at the centre of everything we do. We’ve been on the high street and in your community for nearly 400 years. Trust, value, reliability and transparency all make customers feel secure in their purchases. And our home insurance is no different.


We know that your home is where your heart is. So our priority is to help you keep it safe and secure. Below are some reasons to consider getting your home insurance with Post Office.

Existing Customers

Login or retrieve a quote

Use our Self-Service Centre to manage your quotes or policy.

Why choose Post Office Home insurance?

  • Legal

    Extra reassurance with our Legal Helplines Service for everyone~


    Your home isn’t just a building. It’s a lifestyle, from the little things inside to the little people who grow up there. And our Legal Helplines Service offers advice dealing with neighbourly disputes to bereavement counselling, to support you and yours.

  • Levels of Cover

    Choose which level of cover suits you best

    No two homes are the same, so we don’t have a one-size-fits-all policy for our Home insurance. We have 2 cover levels - Silver which has a 4* Defaqto rating and Gold which has a 5* Defaqto rating.

  • call-centre

    UK call centres and anytime claims line

    You never know when the unexpected might happen. Often at weekends and even on Christmas Day. So our claims lines are open 24/7, 365 days a year. And all our call centres are based in the UK.

  • Flexible

    Cover limits to suit your needs

    Our buildings cover goes up to £1m for both our Silver and Gold cover, and you can choose contents cover from £80k to £100k. You can find the details of these in our tables below.

chevron-right icon

What's covered in our Home insurance?

We have two different cover levels to suit your needs. For full details of what's covered and what’s not covered read our policy booklet and for more information read our Home Insurance policy terms and conditions.





  Post Office 4 Star Defaqto
Post Office 5 Star Defaqto

Buildings Insurance

Buildings sum insured

The maximum amount you can claim for

Up to £1,000,000 Up to £1,000,000

Rent and alternative accommadation

Cost of somewhere to stay if your home cannot be lived in

Up to £200,000 Unlimited

Replacement locks and keys

Covering the cost of locksmith charges or replacement keys if they are lost, stolen or damaged

Up to £1,000 Up to buildings sum insured

Contents Insurance


The maximum amount you can claim for

Up to £80,000 Up to £100,000

Valuables inside the home

The limit on belongings such as jewellery, ornaments and works of art

Up to £24,000 Up to £30,000

Valuables single item limit

The maximum we will pay out on a valuable item

Up to £2,500 Up to £2,500

Garden cover

Covers hedges, lawns and plants in your garden against loss, damage and theft

Up to £1,000 Up to £1,500

Accidental damage to home entertainment equipment

Included Included
chevron-right icon down-arrow icon

Choose buildings cover, contents cover or both


Whatever stage you’re at in life, protecting what matters most to you is a must. So if you’ve just bought your first house and moved everything in, or you’re packing up to move into a student flat, it’s important to protect what’s yours.


Buildings insurance

This protects the physical building and its features.

Contents insurance

This is cover for everything inside a building that isn’t part of its structure or its fixtures and fittings.

circle-outline icon

Extra cover for your priorities


We all have different priorities about what’s important to us and what we’d like to cover. For an additional fee, we have two products that you may like to add as extra cover for you and your home.


Home Emergency*

No one can predict when an emergency will strike, so with Home Emergency, we offer immediate help if there’s further danger to your property or the people in it.


Family Legal Protection*

This provides legal advice and guidance for dealing with legal issues and legal representation where appropriate.

plus icon minus icon chevron-right icon

Home Insurance FAQs

What is Home Insurance?

Home insurance protects the building you own, the things you own within that building, or both. Protection for the physical structure of a building is called buildings insurance, while covering the things you own is called contents insurance. And, of course, you can choose to cover both.

So if you have covered your property and/or contents with home insurance, then if something unfortunate should happen – such as a flood or theft – you can make a claim on your policy.

What does Home insurance cover?

Home insurance can cover damage done to your building or contents by accident or through unforeseen events like theft. It can be used to repair damage or replace items including the house itself, and cover can be enhanced by adding on extra insurance which includes Family Legal Protection, Home Emergency and Accidental Damage cover. An additional cost may apply.

Contents insurance protects your belongings – anything in your property which isn’t part of its permanent structure – while buildings insurance protects the physical building, for example plumbing and electrical systems.

What’s the difference between buildings cover and contents cover?

If you imagine you were able to pick your house up and turn it upside down, buildings cover applies to anything that doesn’t fall out, and contents is for everything that does.

This may be an overly simple way of thinking about the difference between the two, but it can be helpful to visualise what is considered part of the building and what isn’t.

So buildings insurance covers damage done to the physical structure of the building. This includes anything that can’t be separated from the building easily, such as its walls, its mechanical systems (plumbing, electrics, fixtures etc.) and outbuildings.

Contents insurance refers to your belongings. It’s everything you own that is inside your house. There will normally be a cover limit for these items collectively, as well as a single item limit for particularly valuable individual items. If you own an item that is worth more than your home insurer’s single item limit (or more than one), you might want to make sure you specify this item separately on your policy.

What do I need to get a quote?

We try to make life as simple as possible for you. In order to help you decide which cover is right for you, we suggest that you have a think about the value of your house and contents. This doesn’t have to be hard work – though you might want to make a list of the things you own and add up the total values. It needn’t be to the penny, but it should be as accurate as possible.

If you own items that could have changed in value over the years, such as artwork, antiques, musical instruments and jewellery, it’s a good idea to get a professional to value them.

What is a home insurance policy excess?

An excess on any insurance policy is an amount you will need to pay when you make a claim. There are two kinds of excess: voluntary and compulsory. Voluntary excess is an amount you choose to pay while a compulsory excess is one that you have to pay if you want to make a claim. The total excess in the event of a claim will be the combination of the two.

Your excess may be taken from your insurance claim payout. For instance, if you have an excess of £1,000 and make a claim for £5,000, your insurer may retain £1,000 of the payout and give you £4,000.

Do I need Accidental Damage on my home insurance policy?

Accidental Damage is an extra level of cover and separate from damage included on your main policy. Your policy will already cover you for damage caused by a storm, fire, flood or theft and attempted theft.

Accidental damage is sudden, unexpected harm done to your building or contents unintentionally. It is damage done by you or someone in your house. This could be accidentally drilling through a pipe when doing DIY, for instance. Or, in the case of contents insurance, it could be knocking a glass of red wine onto a carpet.

You will need to purchase Accidental Damage cover at the same time you buy your policy – it can’t be added on later. Only you can decide if you want or need Accidental Damage cover. Accidental Damage comes as standard with our Gold product.

Is Home Insurance a legal requirement?

There's no legal requirement to have home insurance in the UK, however, mortgage lenders may make having buildings insurance a requirement before they are willing to lend you money.

chevron-right icon
circle-outline icon chevron-right icon phone icon online-application icon

What do you need help with?

A New Policy

Call us on 0333 44 39 848**
It’s also quick and easy to get a quote
online today.

An Existing Policy

Need to make a change or speak to us.


~The Legal Helplines Service is provided by DAS Law Limited and/or a range of specialist providers on behalf of DAS Services Limited (DAS).

*Post Office Family Legal Protection (FLP) and Home Emergency (HE) enhanced cover is underwritten by DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Limited (DAS).

**Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calling a standard geographic number starting with 01 or 02 from your fixed line or mobile and may be included in your call package dependent on your service provider. Calls may be monitored or recorded for training and compliance purposes.


Small print

Post Office Management Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, and is registered in England and Wales. Our financial services registered number is 630318. The registered office for Post Office Management Services Limited is Finsbury Dials, 20 Finsbury Street, London, EC2Y 9AQ. Our Registered Number is 08459718.