down-arrow icon

Contents Insurance

Lots of people are surprised by how much they actually own and its value. So collectively, our possessions can be worth a lot more than we think, and it’s important to make sure they’re protected should anything happen.

check icon chevron-right icon down-arrow icon

Protect the things that matter


Our possessions are part of our lifestyle – whether that’s a TV, kids’ toys, gym equipment, computers, jewellery, artwork and much more. Imagine the cost if you had to replace some or even all of it. That’s what Contents Insurance is for.

check icon chevron-right icon down-arrow icon

What does Contents Insurance cover?


It can be helpful to think of contents as everything that would fall out if you turned your house upside down. And Contents Insurance is there to protect all of those things from fire, theft and flooding. You can choose to add an extra level of cover when you buy your policy to protect against accidental damage – which is damage done by you or someone in your house by accident. An example might be spilling a glass of wine onto a carpet. Accidental Damage comes as standard with our Gold cover.


  • Furniture
  • Entertainment and electrical appliances
  • Kitchenware and white goods
  • Cash and credit cards
  • Jewellery and artwork
  • Clothes and unfixed rugs and carpets
chevron-right icon

Levels of cover

We have two different cover levels to suit your needs. For full details of what's covered and what’s not covered read our policy booklet and for more information read our Home Insurance policy terms and conditions.





  Post Office 4 Star Defaqto
Post Office 5 Star Defaqto

Contents Insurance


The maximum amount you can claim for

Up to £80,000 Up to £100,000

Valuables inside the home

The limit on belongings such as jewellery, ornaments and works of art

Up to £24,000 Up to £30,000

Valuables single item limit

The maximum we will pay out on a valuable item

Up to £2,500 Up to £2,500

Garden cover

Covers hedges, lawns and plants in your garden against loss, damage and theft

Up to £1,000 Up to £1,500

Accidental breakage to home entertainment equipment

Included Included

Matching sets

For example, if one of your three piece suite is damaged and cannot be repaired or replaced, we will replace the set

Not Included Included
check icon chevron-right icon down-arrow icon

Contents vs Buildings

Contents Insurance

  • Covers your possessions
  • Protects the things you’d take with you if you were to move
  • Protects against theft of possessions
  • Covers the cumulative cost of your contents - up to £100,000 for Gold policies and £80,000 for Silver policies

Buildings Insurance

  • Covers the physical structure of your building
  • Protects the building and its fixtures that can’t be taken anywhere
  • Protects against malicious damage to the building
  • Covers the cost of the building up-to £1m
plus icon minus icon chevron-right icon

Content Insurance FAQs

Do I need contents insurance to get a mortgage?

It isn’t compulsory to get contents insurance, however the cost of having to replace everything yourself could be very expensive if you weren’t insured.

How much do I insure my belongings for?

Only you know the value of your contents. It can be time-consuming to take an inventory of everything you own and work out the total value, however it’s a worthwhile exercise if you want to get a representative home insurance quote.

It can be helpful to go room to room, making a list of the items within it and estimating a value for each if you don’t know or can’t remember what you paid for it initially. Remember that your contents includes everything that isn’t a part of the essential fabric of the building and isn’t limited to just the obvious items like a television or a laptop. Your bed, bed sheets, cupboard, lamps, curtains, chests of drawers and so on are all going to be included in your inventory.

If you don’t know the value of certain items because they may have changed over the years, then it may be a good idea to get them professionally valued.

If you have any individual items that have a high value then you should declare these when you complete your home insurance quote. We may offer cover for items worth more than £2,500 if they are listed as such. 

What isn’t covered by contents insurance?

Anything that is a part of the building rather than a possession wouldn’t be covered by contents insurance and instead would need to be covered by a buildings policy.

circle-outline icon chevron-right icon phone icon online-application icon

Get a quote


It's quick and easy to get a quote online today

Call us on 0333 44 39 848**

We are available; Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 9am-5pm and Sun 10am-4pm


**Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calling a standard geographic number starting with 01 or 02 from your fixed line or mobile and may be included in your call package dependent on your service provider. Calls may be monitored or recorded for training and compliance purposes.


Small Print

Post Office Management Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, and is registered in England and Wales. Our financial services registered number is 630318. The registered office for Post Office Management Services Limited is Finsbury Dials, 20 Finsbury Street, London, EC2Y 9AQ. Our Registered Number is 08459718.