Driving in the EU


You do not need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in the EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland or Liechtenstein if you have a full, valid photocard driving licence issued in the UK.


You may need an IDP if you have a paper licence or your licence was issued in Guernsey, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man or Jersey. For further information, consult the government website or the embassy of the country you are visiting.


If you require an IDP, you must first determine which of three kinds you need by using our country checker. You can then apply from participating branches. Our branch finder will help you find which branches offer this service.


You will need to bring your full, valid driving licence, your valid passport (for paper licences) and a passport standard photograph.


Car insurance after Brexit


If you are driving in the EU after Brexit, you will need to provide proof of your car/motor insurance. This comes in the form of a ‘green card’ and is something you can request from your insurer.


Driving without a green card may mean that you are driving illegally, which may in turn mean that you are prohibited from driving in that country.


If you are towing a trailer or caravan, this will need its own green card too. Post Office Motor Insurance customers who need green cards should call: 0345 073 1002


Please avoid contacting Post Office customer care or our general enquiries team, as they will not be able to process requests for green cards.


Other documentation


From 1 January, you will need the following documentation if driving in the EU (most of which you already need):


- UK driving licence - V5C vehicle logbook

- Evidence of valid motor insurance

- A ‘green card’ from your insurer

- The relevant International Driving Permit if applicable

- A VE103 if you are taking a rental car into the EU