Vehicle Tax Changes

Vehicle Tax Changes

  • Vehicle tax changed in October 2014 – here’s what it means for you
  • Vehicle tax can no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you use it
  • You can now set up a Direct Debit for vehicle tax in branch

The way you tax your car changed in October 2014 : here’s what it means for you.

Can I still buy vehicle tax at the Post Office?

Yes – the way you buy your tax will stay exactly the same. The only difference is that you won’t receive a tax disc.

How will the government know my vehicle is taxed?

DVLA has a digital record of who’s paid their vehicle tax – a paper tax disc is no longer needed as proof. 

Almost all on-road tax checks use Automatic Number Plate Readers to read your registration number, not your tax disc. 

If you haven’t taxed your vehicle, you could face a fine of up to £1,000.

I’ve just bought a car, what should I do?

Tax the vehicle as soon as possible. If you don’t, you could receive a fine of up to £1,000.

The seller should have given you a V5C/2 when you bought the vehicle – sometimes called New Keeper Supplement. You can tax online using its 12 digit reference number or at the Post Office.

If you're in Northern Ireland, you'll also need to bring in your insurance certificate or cover note.

To find a local branch that can sort out vehicle tax, use our Branch Finder.

I haven’t got a log book, what should I do?

Come to the Post Office. We can help you apply for a new log book while we sort out your vehicle tax.

Can I have a paper disc if I want one?

No – they’re not issued any more, meaning you also don’t need to display anything on your windscreen.

Will this be a problem when I take my car abroad?

No – DVLA are working closely with Border Control Agencies, Police and Local Authorities in other countries to make sure there won’t be any problems if you take your car abroad.

Will I still receive a reminder?

Yes – DVLA will get in touch before your vehicle tax expires.

What documents will I need to bring to the Post Office?

You need either a reminder from DVLA (know as a V11) or your Registration Certificate (known as a V5C).

If you have lost your V5C Registration Certificate, you can tax using a V62.

If taxing a vehicle registered to a Northern Ireland address you will need to show a valid vehicle insurance certificate or cover note.

For more information on Direct Debit payments see VDD1 form, fill it in and hand it over at the counter.

You’ll need to bring these to any Post Office branch that deals with vehicle tax. Find a local branch that can sort out vehicle tax with our Branch Finder.

You’ll also need an up to date MOT – which has to be valid when your tax first starts. 

If it’s a goods vehicle or a public vehicle, you might need a valid GVT or PSVC.

Will I still need to bring a Certificate of Motor Insurance to the Post Office when I renew my vehicle tax?

You should bring whatever associated documents DVLA specify on your reminder. 

However, customers in England, Scotland and Wales shouldn’t need to present insurance certificates or cover note.

Customers in Northern Ireland are still required to produce a valid insurance certificate or cover note when taxing a vehicle.

Can I still pay with cash at the Post Office?

There are several ways you can pay:

  • Direct Debit
  • Cash (but not by post)
  • Cheque payable to Post Office Limited
  • Debit card
  • Post Office Budget Card
  • Postal Order
  • Sterling travellers cheques
  • Credit Card

Do I need to keep my old tax disc?

From 1st October 2014, you have the option of removing the tax disc from your windscreen or you can carry on displaying it.