chevron-right icon

Tax your vehicle

Need to tax a car or motorbike or truck? We’ve got payment options to suit every driver.

minus icon plus icon

How to tax your vehicle

Whether you have a car, a motorbike or even a truck, we make it easy for you to pay your vehicle tax. There are plenty of payment options available to suit you too. Just pop into your nearest participating Post Office.

1. Vehicle documents
You’ll need one of the following:

  • Your V5C logbook or your V5C/2 if you’ve just bought the vehicle
  • Your V11
  • Your V85/1 (if it’s an HGV)

If you don’t have any of these, you need to apply for a new V5C. Fill out a V62 form, which you can pick up at your Post Office. The cost is £25.

Use our Branch Finder tool to find your nearest participating Post Office.


2. Other documents
Along with your vehicle document, you’ll need to bring the following:

  • A valid MOT certificate (valid from the date your vehicle tax starts or the date your vehicle tax is issued, whichever is later)
  • A valid Exemption Certificate (if you claim disabled vehicle tax)
  • A valid GVT or PSVC (if you need either of these, it will be mentioned on your vehicle tax reminder)

If you live in Northern Ireland, you’ll also need valid paper copy of either your current
certificate of insurance or a cover note. Your insurance needs to be valid from the date your
vehicle tax starts or the date your vehicle tax is issued – whichever is later.


3. Payment

There are plenty of ways to pay:

  • Direct Debit
  • Cheque
  • Debit/credit card
  • Cash
  • Postal Order

check icon chevron-right icon

Find your nearest branch

Use our branch finder tool to find where you can tax your vehicle

Pay Bills and Top Up
Passport Applications
Licence Applications
Home Office Services
Identity Services
DBS Services
Your Finances
National Lottery
Apply Filters