chevron-right icon

Tax your vehicle

Need to tax a car or motorbike or truck? We’ve got payment options to suit every driver.

minus icon plus icon

How to tax your vehicle

Whether you have a car, a motorbike or even a truck, we make it easy for you to pay your vehicle tax. There are plenty of payment options available to suit you too. Just pop into your nearest participating Post Office.

1. Vehicle documents
You’ll need one of the following:

  • Your V5C logbook or your V5C/2 if you’ve just bought the vehicle
  • Your V11
  • Your V85/1 (if it’s an HGV)

If you don’t have any of these, you need to apply for a new V5C. Fill out a V62 form, which you can pick up at your Post Office. The cost is £25.

Use our Branch Finder tool to find your nearest participating Post Office.


2. Other documents
Along with your vehicle document, you’ll need to bring the following:

  • A valid MOT certificate (valid from the date your vehicle tax starts or the date your vehicle tax is issued, whichever is later)
  • A valid Exemption Certificate (if you claim disabled vehicle tax)
  • A valid GVT or PSVC (if you need either of these, it will be mentioned on your vehicle tax reminder)

If you live in Northern Ireland, you’ll also need valid paper copy of either your current
certificate of insurance or a cover note. Your insurance needs to be valid from the date your
vehicle tax starts or the date your vehicle tax is issued – whichever is later.


3. Payment

There are plenty of ways to pay:

  • Direct Debit
  • Cheque
  • Debit/credit card
  • Cash
  • Postal Order

check icon chevron-right icon

Find your nearest branch

Use our branch finder tool to find where you can tax your vehicle

Pay Bills and Top Up
Passport Applications
Licence Applications
Home Office Services
Identity Services
DBS Services
Your Finances
National Lottery
Apply Filters
chevron-right icon check icon chevron-right icon
image of a farm

Going off-road?

If you’re planning to take your vehicle off the road, for example if you’re keeping your vehicle in a garage, on a drive or on private land, you need to make a Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN).

It’s easy – simply tick the SORN declaration box on your V11 tax reminder form and bring it into your nearest participating Post Office.

image of a farm
plus icon minus icon chevron-right icon


Please visit the DVLA website for the latest vehicle tax rates

plus icon minus icon chevron-right icon


chevron-right icon down-arrow icon

You might be interested in

International Driving Permit

IYou might need an IDP if you’re driving abroad. Check which countries you’ll need one for.

Car Insurance

Protect what matters most and choose from our comprehensive range of car insurance products.

Document Certification

Find out how Post Office can help you get customer and employee documents certified in real time.

Van Insurance

Get a 3-year guarantee on repairs by approved repairers and call our UK-based contact centre 24/7 to make a claim.