Car Insurance

  • UK-based car insurance claims line open 24 hours a day - fast, friendly, expert service
  • 3 year guarantee on repairs carried out by our approved repairers
  • Optional extras for you to create the car insurance package tailored to your needs. ^

Car Insurance for Under 50s

Overseas cover for European trips for up to 60 days at the same level of cover you have in the UK

Our flexible policy gives you the option
to add cover for legal costs and more
for an additional cost


Find out more about Under 50s Car Insurance

Car Insurance for Over 50s

Enjoy peace of mind with our 5 Star Defaqto rated cover, with features that matter to you

Emergency transport and accommodation - we will pay up to £100 per person with a maximum of £400 per incident for alternative transport or overnight accommodation


Find out more about Over 50s Car Insurance

Car insurance after Brexit


If you are driving in the EU after Brexit, you will need to provide proof of your car insurance.

There are two potential scenarios that those intending on driving in the EU will need to be aware of.  

Please refer to the FAQ's below.


Can we help?

To get a quote call:

0330 018 3770 8am - 8pm, Mon - Fri
9am - 5pm, Sat
10am - 4pm, Sun & Bank Holidays

To speak to our Customer Service team call:

0345 073 1002 8am - 8pm, Mon - Fri
9am - 5pm, Sat
10am - 4pm, Sun & Bank Holidays

To renew your policy call:

0330 018 4082 8am - 8pm, Mon - Fri
9am - 5pm, Sat
10am - 4pm, Sun & Bank Holidays

To make a claim call:

0345 073 1005 Open 24 hours a day

Answers to some of your most common questions

Can I drive abroad and do I need a green card?


On 30th June 2021, the EU Commission announced their decision to waive the need to travel with a Green Card for vehicles and towed caravans and trailers when driving in the EU and EEA from 2nd August 2021 onwards. This means you DO NOT need a Green Card for driving your vehicle and towing a caravan or trailer in the following countries: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

You MAY NEED a Green Card for driving your vehicle and towing a caravan or trailer in the following countries: Albania, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Iran, Israel, Moldova, Morocco, Russia, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine. (Please note, insurance cover in these countries is subject to agreement from your insurer and an additional premium may apply in accordance with the terms of your policy).

  • If you are travelling to the countries shown above where a Green Card may be required for your vehicle and caravan/trailer - please contact us 21 days before you are travelling and we will arrange for one to be sent to you if your insurer agrees to the cover and you have paid any additional premium if required.


You will need to take a copy of your Certificate of Insurance, your driving licence and V5C log book with you and display a UK sticker on your vehicle. You may also need an International Driving Permit to drive in some EU/EEA countries.

If you intend to tow a trailer with your vehicle, depending on the type of trailer you have, you may also need to register your trailer before you travel here.

Please note, if you took out a new policy or renewed a policy with us after May 2021, ‘Section 9 Driving Abroad’ in your terms and conditions will still contain information concerning the previous EU ruling which advised that Green Cards were required in all circumstances. We will not be reissuing policy documents in the short term, however if you choose to renew your policy with us at your next renewal, this section will be updated.

For more information on driving abroad and any required documentation, please review the following websites before you travel.

Driving Abroad

Vehicle Insurance and Driving Abroad

Trailer Registration

International Driving Permits

The Motor Insurance Bureau


How can I pay for my car insurance?

You can pay annually or in monthly instalments. To pay by monthly instalments you will need to enter into a credit agreement (subject to status). You can pay by credit / debit card or direct debit but your first payment must always come from a credit / debit card. 

Does it cost more to pay for my insurance monthly?

If you choose to pay by monthly instalments, you will be charged for the credit and this is indicated by the APR %. This means you pay more than you would for an annual lump sum payment arrangement.

Do Post Office offer No Claims Discount to named drivers?

We're afraid not.

How do I retrieve a saved quote?

Go to our car insurance application where you can retrieve your quote. Enter your quote reference in the "retrieve an existing quote" section and follow the instructions given.

How can I get hold of my motor policy documents?

You can download your document policy pack at the time of purchase or alternatively they can be posted out to you thereafter. Your certificate of insurance should arrive in the post within 7 working days of purchase. You can also access your documents online via the Self-Service Centre.

How do I renew my policy?

We'll send a renewal notice 28 days before your renewal date, which will give you instructions about any actions you may need to take.

What does Auto Renewal mean and how do I change this?

It means that your policy will renew automatically when your policy comes up for renewal next year. It is a convenient stress-free way of staying insured. We’ll send a reminder 28 days before your Renewal date so you can check the details and make sure you are still happy to go ahead.

If you change your mind and want to opt out of an automatic renewal it is easy to do. Either go onto Your Account or call the Contact Centre to make the change.

What happens if I have a car accident?

Please call the claims helpline on 0345 073 1005.

Can I claim back unused insurance if my car is written off?

Please call us on 0345 073 1002 where further information and assistance will be available to you in the event of a claim.

How can I cancel my car insurance?

Please call us on 0345 073 1002. Charges and fees may be applicable when cancelling your policy before or after the 14 day cooling off period. Please see policy documents for full details.

I would like to use my insured car to transport goods within UK to aid the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. Do I need to make changes to my policy?

No, you do not need to inform us and will continue to be covered.

I would like to use my insured car to aid the humanitarian crisis in Ukrainian crisis within the European Economic Area. Do I need to contact my insurer and make changes to my policy?

No, our motor insurance policy will provide, at minimum, third party liability coverage for the duration of the insurance policy. However, we encourage you to check your policy documents carefully for limits of coverage and policy exclusions.

I'm a key worker and I'm now using my vehicle for work purposes - do I need to extend my motor insurance cover?

If you’re a key worker and using your own car to drive to different locations for work purposes because of the impact of Covid-19, you will need to contact us to update your cover.

I'm worried that I might not be able to continue to make my payments - can you help?

Yes, we’re here to help. We’re aware that there may be an impact on people’s livelihoods due to Covid-19. If you think you may be unable to maintain your regular policy payments, please contact us as soon as possible on 0345 073 1002. Our opening hours are Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-5pm, Sundays – closed, Bank Holidays 9am-5pm.

We have specialists on hand who can discuss your individual circumstances and agree how we can help with your financial situation. There are several ways we may be able to help including; moving your payment dates, agreeing partial payments or payment holidays in the short term and removing any fees applied to your policy.

Don’t wait until you miss a payment as we can help you in advance. We ask that you don’t cancel your payments or direct debits as this can result in your policy being cancelled and we don’t want you to be left uninsured, please get in touch with us in the first instance.


^ Optional extras are available at an additional charge. Terms, conditions and exclusions apply - see policy documents for full details.

Call charges

0330 & 0345: Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calling a standard geographic number starting with 01 or 02 from your fixed line or mobile and may be included in your call package dependent on your service provider. Calls may be monitored or recorded for training and compliance purposes.