- A weaker pound means less favourable tourist exchange rates
- When comparing tourist exchange rates online, consider the whole package, not just the exchange rate
Tourist exchange rates: need to know
Tourist exchange rates change when the demand for a currency goes up or down. There are many reasons for changes in demand. Increased business activity in a country can strengthen its currency, as can high interest rates.
Tourist exchange rates are always changing but the current economic climate has seen tourist currency exchange rates to the pound take a sharp turn for the worse. With the weaker pound, UK holidaymakers are finding that their pounds don't buy as much foreign currency.
Tourist exchange rates: getting the best rate
In general, currency exchange counters at airports, stations and hotels – although convenient – offer the worst tourist exchange rates. There's a good chance you may also have to pay commission, meaning even less foreign currency for your pounds.
By ordering your currency online in advance, you're much more likely to get a good tourist exchange rate. And in many cases, you won't need to pay commission – for example when you order foreign currency online from the Post Office®.
Getting the best value
When shopping online for foreign currencies, keep in mind that guarantees of the best tourist exchange rate don't always equal the best value. In general, online rates are all competitive, and the difference between rates is often just a fraction of a pound. Even if you're exchanging £500, the difference could be as little as 50p.
To get the best value on tourist exchange rates, look at the complete service on offer. For example:
- For branch pickup, where’s the closest branch to you?
- Do they offer home delivery?
- Do they offer to buy back your unused currency?
The Post Office® foreign exchange offers all this and more.
Get your currency from the Post Office®
Buy online for a better rate on foreign currency.
- 0% commission, competitive rates on over 70 foreign currencies.
- Order currency or Travellers Cheques online
- Delivered to your front door or pick up from one of 11,500 local Post Office® branches
- Free delivery for branch collection and orders over £400 for home delivery Monday – Friday