Do I really need euros?
Where are you off to? You may be surprised by how many European countries don’t have the euro as their official currency:
Albania, Armenia, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Georgia, Hungary, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Norway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and the United Kingdom
Two ways to pack your euros
||Travel Money Card Plus
- Simple way to take foreign currency with you
- We’ll buy back any cash you don’t spend
- Buy £400 - £2500 online
- Pre-load the card with your holiday money
- Re-load the card again – whenever you go away
- Accepted worldwide – wherever Mastercard® is accepted
- Secure – can be cancelled if lost or stolen
- Top up anytime with our mobile app
Tips for getting more euros for your pound
- If you are travelling to Europe, pre-order your currency before you get to the airport to save you money by getting a better euro exchange rate with less commission.
- When you order your currency, ask for small and medium denomination euro notes such as €20 or €50, that are more widely accepted in shops and restaurants than the 200 or 500 euro notes. Take some €5 and €10 notes for taxis and other quick purchases.
- Euro notes are issued in 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500-euro denominations.
- Euro coins come in €1 and €2 as well as 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cent denominations.
Get your euros from us
We make it easy to get euros for your holiday:
- Order euros online up to five working days in advance
- Pick up your euros at a Post Office branch or have them delivered to your home – minimum order value of £400 applies online.
- Online orders placed before 3pm, on a working day, can generally be delivered to your home the next working day. Where an order is placed on a Friday and delivery to your home is required on a Saturday, there will be a charge of £1.50.
- Home delivery applies to online orders only.
- Pick up your euros 'on demand' at over 10,000 Post Office branches
- Show us your Post Office Money receipt and we’ll buy back all your leftover euro banknotes, commission-free.
The smart way to travel
Keep track of your holiday spending and instantly convert local prices into pounds with our free smartphone apps. There are three handy apps to download for iOS and Android, including Travel Essentials, Travel Money Card Plus & Currency Converter. You can also download an instant currency converter for your Apple Watch.
New €20 euro note
A new anti-fraud design will replace the current €20 banknote in November 2015. Be sure you recognise the real deal.
Don’t forget your toothbrush
There’s always so much to do before you head off. You’ve just ticked Travel Money, but what have you forgotten? Here’s a pre-travel checklist to help jog your memory.