We’re committed to providing websites that are usable and accessible, practical, helpful and available to people of all abilities.
Complying with the British Standards Institution
Our goal is to conform to British Standard (BS) 8878 Web Accessibility Code of Practice from the British Standards Institution (BSI). In accordance with BS8878, you’ll find our organisational accessibility goals on this page.
BS8878 three experience levels
It’s our aim to deliver on all these levels and more:
- Technically accessible: e.g. is it technically possible for users to access the information or perform the steps needed to accomplish the task?
- Usable: e.g. are users able to effectively and efficiently complete tasks?
- Satisfying/enjoyable: e.g. are users satisfied with the experience; is the experience enjoyable, if it is supposed to be?
Our accessibility goals
- Engage with disabled people, understand their requirements, and incorporate those requirements into website scoping and planning
- Meet Level AA of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 as a minimum, and Level AAA wherever possible
- Conduct formal and informal accessibility evaluations against the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 throughout development
- Put in place an ongoing post launch programme of accessibility evaluations and testing with people with disabilities
Responsibility for this policy
Our Head of Digital is Richard Surridge. It’s Richard who is responsible for this policy and its implementation within Post Office and it’s his job to make sure the principles we lay out here are upheld.
But it doesn’t stop there. Each person within Post Office is also responsible for upholding the principles of this policy within their particular areas of operation – think of it as business as usual for us and all our staff.
Outside the web
We continually review the accessibility of all our products as well as access to our branches and are a Gold Card member of the Employers Forum on Disability and an active member of the Business Taskforce on Accessible Technology.
For information about the access and facilities provided by the Post Office™, please visit The Nationwide Access Register at directenquiries.com.