Rod Fishing Licence FAQs

I have bought a trout and coarse rod licence and want to fish for salmon, do I need to buy a new licence?

It is possible to upgrade your trout & coarse licence to a salmon and sea trout licence throughout the year. To upgrade your licence you must take it to a Post Office branch.  You'll need to pay the difference in cost between the licences. The Post Office® will keep your trout and coarse licence and a salmon and sea trout licence will be posted to you.

Do I need a renewal letter to buy a licence?

No. If you haven't received a renewal letter or don’t have it to hand when you are renewing you can still buy a licence online. You will need to choose the option "buy a full licence" option on the first page of the online licence buying pages.

Who do I contact if I think my rod licence application has failed?

If your application is successful then you'll receive an email confirmation. If you're unsure whether or not it has been successful then contact the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506 or

I have lost my rod licence and need to replace it. What do I do now?

If you have lost your rod licence or it has been destroyed then you can get a replacement licence. To get a replacement you will need to call the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506. There is a £5 (£1 for juniors) charge for a replacement licence payable by debit/credit card, cheque or postal order.