Planning to drive on your next trip away? Get your International Driving Permit (IDP) at a Post Office near you. Just £5.50 for a whole year.
Why apply with us?
- Covered for just £5.50: you may be charged additional fees elsewhere
- Valid for 12 months: use your permit on as many trips as you like
- Flexible start time: post date your permitWe can delay the start date of your permit up to 3 months from confirming your application. up to three months from when you apply
How it works
Before you apply, find out if you need an IDP to drive abroad.
Once you’ve got your international permit, you’re legally covered to drive in many overseas countries – just make sure you’ve also got your UK driving licence with you.
Apply over the counter
You’ll need to apply in person, so check which Post Office branch near you issues International Driving Permits.
- Pick up an application form and fill it in. Make sure you’ve got your dates right – you can only apply up to three months before you want to start using your permit.
- Bring your full UK driving licence (photocard and paper counterpart), the £5.50 application fee, a photo of you (passport-sized and signed on the back) and your proof of identity with you when you come back in with your completed application.
- We’ll sort everything out and give you a receipt for your payment.
Things to remember
- You must be 18or over to apply.
- Hiring a car? Check your rental conditions in advance in case you need to carry anything extra.
- If you’re travelling on business, or not just for leisure, check the local regulations to see if you need a local driving licence.
- Make sure you’ve got the right permit– you can’t use a UK-issued International Driving Permit to drive in the UK
- Always carry your UK driving licence and passport along with your International Driving Permit when abroad. Please note, your UK driving licence must be valid and not expired. If you need to renew your UK driving licence we can help you. Please click on link below.