Do you need to register your biometric information?
A Biometric Residence Permit proves the holders right to stay, work or study in the United Kingdom.
If you are a foreign national from outside the European Economic Area, you will need to apply for a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if you:
- Are applying to stay in the UK for longer than 6 months
- Want to extend your visa to longer than 6 months
- Are applying to settle in the UK
- Want to transfer your visa to a new passport
- Want to apply for certain Home Office travel documents
During your application for a biometric residence permit (BRP), the Home Office will send you a letter containing a barcode, letting you know that you need to come to a Post Office and submit your biometric information.
How to enrol your biometric information
- Find a Post Office branch offering Biometric Resident Permit services with our Branch Finder.
- Bring cash or a debit card to pay the £19.20 fee – we don’t accept credit cards for this service.
- We take your biometric details – your photo, your fingerprints and your signature.
- We securely send your information to the Home Office.
Lots of people need to use this service – so if you visit on a Saturday or a Monday you may have to wait longer than usual. You may also be required to attend the following day if there are other people waiting to enrol.
If you visit on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday the waiting times are likely to be shorter.
Please note: customers may be turned away and asked to re-attend where there are long queues prior to closing time.