Help cover the cost of your funeral
Selecting the Funeral Benefit Option with your Post Office Money Over 50's Life Cover plan can bring additional peace of mind to you and your loved ones.
It’s free, and enables the fixed lump sum from your Post Office Money Over 50's Life Cover to be paid directly to The Co-operative Funeralcare, the UK’s leading funeral provider. This is designed to help towards the overall cost of providing your funeral. What’s more, The Co-operative Funeralcare will also contribute £250 towards your funeral cost, helping to reduce any financial burden on your loved ones when the time comes.
Avoid uncertainty and make your wishes known
Choosing the Funeral Benefit Option also gives you the opportunity to record how you would like your funeral to be.
The Co-operative Funeralcare will provide a Funeral Requests Form that enables you to request a particular poem or piece of music, or perhaps for donations to be made to a chosen charity. Recording your wishes will save your loved ones from uncertainty at what can be a difficult time. You'll also have the confidence of knowing things can be arranged exactly as you'd want them to be.
Get the benefits of the Funeral Benefit Option now
Whether you want to select the Funeral Benefit Option when you apply for a new Post Office Money Over 50's Life Cover plan, or simply want to add it to an existing plan, enjoying the peace of mind that Funeral Benefit Option brings couldn't be easier.
What you need to do after you’ve applied
Once you’ve taken out Funeral Benefit Option, you’ll be sent a welcome pack from The Co-operative Funeralcare. When you receive this do make sure you:
- Check your details on your Certificates provided within your pack are correct
- Tell a loved one about your Funeral Benefit Option and give them a Certificate to keep safe for when it's needed
- Complete and return your enclosed Funeral Requests Form to The Co-operative Funeralcare.
Covering the costs
If your funeral costs less than your plan’s value, your loved ones will need to claim the remaining money from the plan’s provider, Aviva Life & Pensions UK Limited.
If your funeral costs more than the plan’s value, the person arranging your funeral will need to pay the difference at the time of arranging it.
What if you change your mind?
If you change your mind, you can remove the Funeral Benefit Option from your plan at any time.
However, you would no longer be entitled to the £250 Contribution from The Co-operative Funeralcare and you wouldn’t be able to add the Funeral Benefit Option back on to your plan at a later date.
Important things to remember
- You can only add the Funeral Benefit Option to one plan.
- If you have more than one Post Office Money Over 50's Life Cover plan and would like to add the Funeral Benefit Option to one of these, you will need to tell us which plan you would like the Funeral Benefit Option added to. If you already have a plan with another provider that includes a Funeral Benefit Option through The Co-operative Funeralcare, you can’t add another Funeral Benefit Option to your Post Office Money Over 50's Life Cover plan.
- If you remove the Funeral Benefit Option from your plan, you won’t be able to add it back again later.
- The Funeral Benefit Option only applies to funerals arranged and carried out through one of The Co-operative Funeralcare Funeral Homes, another Co-operative owned Funeral Home or affiliated Funeral Director.
- When the time comes, the person arranging your funeral is under no obligation to use The Co-operative Funeralcare. However if they do choose another provider the additional £250 Contribution would no longer be valid.
- If you die within 12 months of taking out your plan, the Funeral Benefit Option will not apply. Under these circumstances the amount due under the terms and conditions of your plan will be paid to your estate. If your funeral is then carried out through one of The Co-operative Funeralcare Funeral Homes, another Co-operative owned Funeral Home or affiliated Funeral Director the £250 Contribution to come off your funeral bill would sill be available.
- Please remember this is not a funeral plan and may not cover all your funeral costs.