Reduce your UK postage costs
Following the recent changes to parcel price and services, we know it’s as important as ever to minimise your postage costs. Here are some tips to get the most out of your postage when sending parcels with Royal Mail or Parcelforce Worldwide at the Post Office:
Now the majority of prices for UK parcels depend on the size as well as weight, packing your items in the right way, can make all the difference to your postage costs.
- When using 1st, 2nd Class or Royal Mail Signed For®, sending your item as a Small Parcel will be cheaper than sending it as a Medium Parcel. So make sure soft, compactable items up to a maximum of 2kg are packed down as much as possible to fit into the Small Parcel size of:
Don’t forget the item and its packaging needs to fall within these limits
- Check the prices, weight and size limits at home using postoffice.co.uk/price-finder or pick up the Royal Mail ‘Our prices’ leaflet in branch, so you can package up your items at home to fit the size and weight limits for the most cost-effective service. If you’re sending an item using Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed® by 9am or 1pm, you can save money on your packaging, as we provide free plastic envelopes in a range of sizes for customers using this service. Just ask at the counter.
- Rolled or cylinder shaped items (tubes) which are longer than the Medium Parcel length (61cm) can be sent as a Medium parcel provided the length is no more than 90cm and the length plus twice the diameter is no more than 104cm.
Send multiple items to the same address as a consignment
- If you’re sending more than one item to the same address using a Parcelforce Worldwide service, you can send up to 15 items as a consignment and receive a discount.
Don’t discount Guaranteed services as always being more expensive
- Fully tracked, one day and two day services are not always the most expensive option. For items over 2kg being sent within the UK, Parcelforce Worldwide express48 is the cheapest option, even though it gives you inclusiveIncluded in the price you are already paying. compensation of up to £100, online end-to-end tracking and guaranteed deliveryParcelforce Worldwide guarantee: A refund of the whole or a proportionate part of the consignment charges in the event of late delivery in line with our UK or International Conditions of Carriage for Retail Services. Delivery time begins from date of collection. within two working days.
Do you sell on Ebay? Don’t forget to choose a service which fits with Ebay Seller/Buyer Protection guidelines
- Royal Mail Signed For®, Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed® by 9am and 1pm, and all the Parcelforce Worldwide express services are in line with Ebay Seller/Buyer Protection Guidelines for Ebay sales that total £150 or more. Don’t forget to check the compensation available when choosing your postage, so you’re covered for the item you’re sending in the event of loss, delay or damage.
Claim the VAT back
- Many business customers can reclaim VAT. If your business is registered for VAT, and sells taxable goods or services, then as a general rule, you will be able to recover the VAT in the normal way on your VAT return. For professional advice, talk to your Finance department, accountant or tax advisor. You can also find more information on VAT at the HMRC website.
- Remember to ask at the counter for a VAT receipt when sending your item, as you’ll need this to claim the VAT back.(if you are eligible to reclaim VAT)