Ski & Winter Sports Travel Insurance

Whether you're a James Bond-level pro or you prefer to slip down the nursery slopes at your own pace, accidents on the piste happen and can be serious. Winter Sports Cover is a mandatory add-on to your travel insurance available for an additional premium, which could help protect against injury, provide medical evacuation and may be able to help out if equipment is lost, stolen, or damaged.

What does travel insurance cover for Covid-19?


All new policies include coronavirus cover for cancellation, curtailment and medical costs due to Covid-19 in certain circumstances.And you can add extra protection for missed departures or change in testing and quarantine rules with our Covid-19 upgrade.

chevron-right icon

Protection for skiing and snow boarding on and off piste

And that’s not all. Winter Sports gives cover for a range of common and less-common snowbound activities including off-piste (within resort boundaries and in recognised areas). It covers lost, damaged or stolen ski equipment and piste closure. So if it’s your first time or your hundredth, make sure you don’t hit the mountains without Winter Sports Cover. 

question icon

What’s covered?

Add the Winter Sports Option for an additional premium to any Post Office Travel Insurance policy and get all this extra protection.

Medical Emergencies

Ski, snowboarding & air boarding accidents

It’s not just skiing and snowboarding. Whether it’s ski-blading, air boarding or even snowmobiling, there are plenty of winter sports we can cover you for, both on and off the piste. We include medical evacuation too in case you’re hurt in an inaccessible area.


Lost, damaged or stolen equipment

Whether you have your own equipment or you’ve hired it, we can cover loss, theft or damage it might suffer. Terms and conditions apply. Please check out our policy wording for details. 

Piste closure

Piste closure

It can be fun to go up the mountain when the weather’s heavy, but when there’s no snow at all, there’s no point. If the piste is closed because there’s no snow, you could make a claim.  

check icon document-download icon

Why choose Post Office Winter sports add on cover?

  • We cover off-piste as well as on (within recognised resorts and boundaries)
  • We cover a huge range of winter sports, including air boarding, skidooing and tobagganing (limitations may apply)
  • 24/7 emergency medical helpline

chevron-right icon

All medical conditions considered

Living with a medical condition shouldn’t stop you travelling and enjoying the world. And with the right cover in place you can enjoy peace of mind on your adventures, just in case something unfortunate happens.

Post Office Travel Insurance covers most pre-existing conditions. Get a quote now to see if we'll cover you, but please make sure you declare all your medical conditions and any medication you're taking upfront.

If we can’t help and yours is a serious pre-existing medical condition, check the Money and Pensions Scheme (MaPS) directory of companies that may be able to help you. Or call 0800 138 7777.

trophy icon

    Our Awards

    Post Office won a "Best Travel Insurance provider" award at the Your Money Awards in 2022. 


    Post Office won a "Best Travel Insurance provider" award at the Your Money Awards 2021. 


    Our Premier policies are also Defaqto 5-star rated

your money awards 2021 travel insurance
Travel-Insurance award Defaqto logo
plus icon minus icon chevron-right icon

Winter Sports Cover FAQs

Still have questions about travel insurance?

chevron-right icon check icon chevron-right icon
EHIC card

Ehic and Ghic aren't always enough

UK citizens travelling in EU countries can access some state-provided healthcare there for free or at a reduced cost. You'll need a European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) that's yet to expire or its replacement, the new UK Global Health Insurance Card (Ghic).

Remember, neither card covers any additional cost to return you to the UK or for a relative to stay or fly out to be with you. In a medical emergency you may have no control over the hospital you are taken to or the closest hospital may be private. But medical travel insurance may be able to cover some of the cost for you.

From 1 January 2021 the Ehic will no longer provide access to healthcare services in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland for UK nationals in most costs.

EHIC card
chevron-right icon

Travel Insurance cover types


  • Cover for a one-off trip in the UK or abroad
  • Perfect for one-off trips or longer holidays up to 365-days*
  • No age limit

Annual Multi-trip

  • Cover for multiple trips for a 12-month period
  • You can go away multiple times in the policy year with various trip durations available **
  • Available for everyone aged up to 75 years
chevron-right icon
circle-outline icon chevron-right icon phone icon online-application icon

Get a travel insurance quote


It’s quick and easy to get a quote today


*The Single Trip policy will cover you for one trip up to:

365 days for persons aged up to and including age 70.

90 days for persons aged between 71 and 75.

31 days for persons aged between 76 and above.


** Under an Annual Multi-trip policy although you can take as many trips as you want within the policy year, there is a maximum duration for each individual trip. This limit varies depending on the cover level chosen and will be 17 or 31 days. On some policies the limit can be extended to 31, 45 or 60 days for an additional premium.

Small Print


Post Office® Travel Insurance is arranged by Post Office Limited and Post Office Management Services Limited. 


Post Office Limited is an appointed representative of Post Office Management Services Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 630318. Post Office Limited and Post Office Management Services Limited are registered in England and Wales. Registered numbers 2154540 and 08459718 respectively. Registered Office: Finsbury Dials, 20 Finsbury Street, London EC2Y 9AQ. Post Office and the Post Office logo are registered trademarks of Post Office Limited.


The above details can be checked on the Financial Services Register by visiting the Financial Conduct Authority website and searching by Firm Reference Number (FRN).