International Driving Permit

  • Apply for your International Driving Permit, so you can drive whilst you're abroad
  • Available from selected branches

In the event of a no deal Brexit, International Driving Permits will be required to drive in some EU countries from March 28th. From February 1st Post Office will be providing this new IDP service offering the 3 versions (1926, 1949 and 1968), across 2,500 branches. The required IDP for your country of travel can be purchased up to 3 months in advance so you can plan your travels. This web page will be updated to help you choose the correct IDP and additional support can be provided at Post Offices offering the IDP service.

Planning on driving during your next holiday? Lucky you

But before you can go cruising down Route 66, you may need an International Driving Permit – available for just £5.50 from selected Post Office branches.

What's an International Driving Permit?

The International Driving Permit is often called an IDP. Once you've got your International Driving Permit you will usually be able to drive in most countries overseas, just make sure you also have your full UK licence with you.

It's required or recommended in over 140 countries – including the USA, Brazil and Hong Kong.

 In some countries its a legal requirement to enable you to drive, while in other countries it may be a compulsory requirement by car hire companies.

Why apply with us?

  • Only £5.50: no additional charges
  • Valid for 12 months – use your permit on as many trips as you like
  • Flexible start time – we can delay the start date of your permit up to three months from when you apply
  • How long does it take to complete the process - The process takes around 5 minutes to complete

How it works

Before you apply, find out if you need an IDP to drive abroad.

How can I apply?

You can apply in person at selected Post Office branches. Use our branch finder to find the nearest Post Office branch offering this service.

To receive an IDP, you need to be:

  • 18 years or over
  • Have a valid UK driving licence

If you've just passed your test but haven't received your full UK driving licence yet, you're still allowed to apply for an IDP. All you need to do is provide your original provisional licence and your test pass certificate.

Once you've found a branch, it's as easy as filling out an application form. Just make sure that you bring:

  • Your full UK driving licence - Photo card or older paper version licence
  • The £5.50 application fee
  • A passport sized photo signed on the back
  • Proof of identification e.g. passport

When do I need to apply?

You can apply for an IDP up to 3 months before you're due to travel. Once you've received your IDP, it's valid for a year.

Do I still need my UK driving licence?

Yes – the IDP is only valid if you're carrying your UK licence with you.

Get your International Driving Permit. Available from selected branches.

Need help?