When do I need to use it?
When you use a government service that requires GOV.UK Verify to check your identity.
How does it work?
First you select the service you want on GOV.UK. Next you are able to choose from a list of certified companies – the Post Office is proud to be one of the first companies certified by GOV.Verify. Once you have selected Post Office you will be able to begin the process of assuring your identity online.
- Select a service you want on GOV.UK Verify
- Choose from a list of certified identity providers - Post Office is one of these.
- Verify your identiy: provide some personal information, including name, date of birth and address.
- Verify your identiy: use at least two documents (passport, driving licence, mobile contract etc.) to validate your identity.
- Use your newly created GOV.UK Verify account to access the government service you would like to use.
- You can now use this account to access multiple services witha single log-in.This uses a username and password of your choice and your mobile number.
How is it different?
The government won't hold all of your information, which is a lot more secure. You'll have a choice of which company you'd like to use to assure your identity and you won't be asked to give personal information that you don't need to.